Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
gas lanterns

Posted by jesemy (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 26, 06 at 17:32

Has anybody ever had gas lanterns installed? We have existing electric lanterns on either side of the front door, but love the look of gas lanterns as well as on a lamppost. I know very little about them--do they burn constantly, etc.?
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: gas lanterns

A gas post lantern (I assume you mean natural gas) like any other gas appliance may be turned off with a valve and turned on when you want and relit.

They use very little fuel.

Don

o

One thing you might consider is that gas lamps give off very little light. At our previous house, we had one on either side of the front door and had recessed lights on the porch for the times when we needed significant light. Ours burned all the time and did not use a lot of fuel, and they really added a lot of ambience.

We had Bevolo lamps, which are really well-constructed, are supposed to use less gas than mass-manufactured lights, and were not much more expensive than the big-box store lamps.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Bevolo in New Orleans

o

I personally wouldn't install one of these attached to my house, maybe in the yard. Seems like a good way to burn down a house.

o

Gas is a very expensive source of light and a waste of a limited resource.

o

Gas lamps can either use an open flame (dim light) or a mantle (decent light).
Neither will start a fire under normal use since the flame is enclosed in the fixture.
Gas is far from a limited resource. We can make allthe methane we want, it just costs more than extracting it from the earth.
The reason for the rn up in gas prioces is the EPA rukles for electric generators. A cleaner fuel is cheaper to use (less stack scrubbing equipment is needed) so natural gas is being used to run electric generators.

o

Brick is right, they are very safe. The flame is about the size of a pilot light and completely enclosed. These lamps are on just about every building in the historic districts of New Orleans, giving off beautiful, efficient light for very little dough. North Carolina is a significantly warmer climate than the frigid north so you burn much less fuel to begin with. Don't let these factors stop you.

o

FYI - you can get (for extra $$) electronic ignition accessories. This permits you to turn the lamp on and off with a standard switch.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gas Products Company

o

My husband wanted gas lanterns badly. We currently have electric lights on both sides of the front door. Many many homes in our neighborhood have gas lanterns though. we were told the price to run the gas line and do a whole house gas line check (which is required in our town code) would be about $1200 (for both lights) but that is exclusive of the light fixtures themselves. We saw gas lanterns that were $600 and up. I didn't want to wait to order them and it seemed like such a hassle. That being said, every time I comment on a cute house on our neighborhood walks, my husband comments that it's always the ones with the gas lanterns.

Also, most of them don't put out a lot of light and they do burn all the time. A famous baseball player who had them here had his flame turned up too high and his house did catch on fire or explode or something. That's the story anyway.

o

Hi southern,

You made some good points; but, as an industry expert with the leading custom gas light manufacturer, you have a common industry misconception.

1. If you need to run gas lines to the fixture: Contact several local gas plumbers w gas light install experience and/or ask the gas light company about their installation packages.

2. $600 is an accurate price for a custom fixture. Prices range depending on size, style, copper used, brackets, add-ons, etc. Beware of copper gas lights that are priced cheaper than this; these fixtures may be a. made outside the U.S. and/or b. of poor quality

3. Gas Lights DO NOT burn all the time if you don't want them to. Ask a gas light manufacturer about their Electronic Ignition system that can be wired to a switch or timer for your safety and convenience. They also serve as an energy efficient technology; EI's will detect if your gas flame has been extinguished, attempt to re-light the fixture 3 times, and if the attempts failed, the gas valve is automatically shut off.

4. I have never heard of a properly installed gas light burning down a house. There are certain installation requirements and town code to ensure a safe and efficient gas light. If the gas light company does not install their lights, make sure a trained electrician and gas plumber know the requirements.

Be mindful of who you purchase your gas lights from; here are a few key questions to ask before deciding to purchase:

1. What is your warranty?
2. Do you install your lights?
3. What is the lead time?
4. Where are the lights manufacutured?
5. Do you have electronic ignition systems?
6. Tell me about customer service/troubleshooting
7. What is the down payment?
8. Are you limited to making only certain designs?
9. Can you provide references?

Hope this helps clarify gas lighting for you. Let me know if you have any questions and I'll be happy to help.

o

I would worry about having gas lanterns attract vandals and curiosity seekers, who would damage them or start a fire.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here