Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Floor structure is in question

Posted by oldhousetime (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 1, 10 at 16:33

Well, I am in a dilemma. Bought an old House, 1905, gutted the 2nd floor bathroom and would like to put a cast Iron tub in. The tub with water will weight about 500lbs. When ripping out the bathroom, the subfloor , which was diagonally placed 2 x 6s that went from one room to the other, have been taken out. The floor joists have large holes from old plumbing plus holes for new plumbing. I am worried that the diagonal subfloor boards did more then act as just sub flooring, but distributed weight to a larger surface making less load in the bathroom...
Can I sister the joists and call it a day or should I think about something more invasive.
This problem has been keeping us from moving forward.
Thank you in advance.
J

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Floor structure is in question

This sounds familiar

o
RE: Floor structure is in question

Sistered joists will restore the integrity of the structure. Modern plywood will give adequate support for a tub. BTW, the time to easily do this was before the plumbing. It is sometimes challenging to fit pipes through boards. It is generally impossible to fit boards around pipes.

Just a note on joists - the old growth lumber was stronger than what you will fine at Home Depot. If you are going to use new lumber, make sure your joists are spaced properly by modern standards.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here