Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to make new nickel plated hinges look like brushed nickel

Posted by gr82bgrammy (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 2, 09 at 16:00

I could only find new hinges that matched the style of my original kitchen cabinet hinges in a shiny nickel plated steel. I went ahead and purchased them, but really want to make them have the buffed nickel look. Any idea how to do this? I tried coarse steel wool and it isn't working.
Thanks,
Terry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to make new nickel plated hinges look like brushed nickel

You can strip the nickel, apply a brushed finish, then have them plated again.

Nickel plating is very hard, and also very thin.
The brush look is in the underlying metal befor the nickel plate is applied.

o

Thanks, Brickeyee.
Before I read your post DH decided to try something. He heated a hinge up with a blow torch (which darked the metal) and then brushed with a wire brush to give it a two toned sort of look. I like the look, but do you know if it will hold up? Should I coat it with a clear matte spray?
I appreciate any input on this.
Terry

o

I just asked my DH, who is a metal man (jewelry). He said the metal will remain that way - so no worries!

o

Thanks, Golddust, for the response. DH went ahead and heated all the hinges and brought them in for me to see. They look great in most areas, but some parts of the hinge turned blue or purple/rainbowish. That part isn't pretty :( I'm guessing that was where too much heat got to that area. Does your DH have any ideas for them now? I think I want to end up with a matte brushed nickel look - but now may have to just paint the things white like the wood cabinets :(
Thanks,
Terry

o

Not for chrome. He is a precious metal man. He just knows how heat affects metal.

o

Usually brushed metal finishes involve the use of a fine abrasive on the surface of the metal with no deliberate attempt to remove a surface layer. A nylon fabric like Scotch-Brite works well sometimes with a fine abrasive and/or lubricant.

Modern plated hardware usually achieves a brushed, matte, or satin finish with a lacquer coating to dull the finish.

o

Thanks for the info. I'm still trying to work something out on these hinges. Any ideas whether the rainbow effect on the hinges is caused by too much heat applied, or not enough in those particular areas?
Thanks,
Terry

o

Okay, we finally got the look we wanted on the hinges.

These started out as flat, nickel plated hinges, very shiny. DH bent them to make them into offset, cut the third hole off the bent side and reshaped the metal, heated till red hot twice to get the nickel plating off. Then I buffed with scotch brite pad, buffed again, painted with matte acrylic spray, and gave a touch of rub-n-buff to the detailed area. It took way too much time, but I thing the end result looks like an old vintage hinge, just what I wanted since our farmhouse is over 100 years old. What do you think?
Terry
Photobucket

o

Wow. They look great! Nice work!

o

Thanks for the compliment!
Terry

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here