Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Carnival fun house

Posted by blessedbe (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 7, 11 at 15:52

My old house is lopsided. Not only in the areas where some of the floor beams are sitting on the ground, but apparently everywhere else too! I recently decided instead of painting or refinishing the cabinet doors (since they're honestly in pretty good shape) to clean them really well and install hardware (there's none at all now). I bought a template for drilling the holes, but the doors aren't level with each other! One of the set has an almost 1/4 inch difference in the bottom edge. It wasn't super noticeable before, but I'm scared it will be now with knobs attached! Should I leave it as is or try to correct it? If so, what's the best way to do that? I'm a single woman with a drill and a bit set. I can do super basic stuff, but not sure how to handle this one. Other issue, all my light boxes are crooked. I bought new switch plates to update the look of the house, and every single one that's in a wall is crooked. Not that they weren't before but now it's more noticeable. I don't think there's any way to correct that, but I thought I would ask! Thanks for any help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Carnival fun house

If the difference in level isn't that noticeable now, and it doesn't bother you...then just put the knobs in line with each other, rather than the same height from the bottom of each door. Drill the hole for the first one, then do a level line from that hole to the other door, and drill. You have level knobs, and that will draw attention away from the uneven doors. :)
Regarding the light boxes, you could straighten then by chiselling back some of the plaster, and reinstalling them--the cover plate will hide the alteration--but it seems an awful lot of trouble. How about painting them to match the walls?

o

I took the switch plate off the worst one and took a look inside. I'm the furthest thing from an electrician, but the wires in their look old and not in great shape. Obviously it needs to be looked at. My best friend's dad is an electrician and I'll ask him to check it the next time he's in town. So much for maybe adjusting the box position on the stud. However, when I put the new cover on, I tried to straighten it as much as possible. It helped somewhat. I have just decided, you know what, this house was built in 1946 and stuff is going to be wrong with it. I'll take your advice and install the knobs level with each other, and get over it! :) THanks!

o

Sometimes you can open the door that is dragging down lower & with both hands grip the bottom of door & pull up- don't get too carried away. If it helps can do it a little more. I live in earthquake country in L.A. & I've "fixed" cabinet doors that way so they close properly. Then you can put your knobs on. Have your electrician check & see if house is grounded & all outlets grounded.(Do you have only 1 way plug can go in outlet? If it can go in either way it isn't grounded properly) Might have him check & see if service panel(I think it's called) is heavy duty enough to take on things like fridge & microwave, electric stove etc. Might need to upgrade.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here