Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Adding a fireplace to a home that never had one

Posted by jlc102482 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 25, 13 at 15:05

I would like to add a fireplace in my 1857 home, which never had a fireplace and was originally heated by parlor stoves. I know it's not exactly "right" of me to do, but then again I don't live in a house museum where I need to follow very strict guidelines, either. My plan was to use only salvaged materials and take the fireplace to about 1870, using an Eastlake marbelized slate mantle and surround, and use majolica and encaustic tiles for the surround and hearth floor. I attached a link to a photo of what I'd like the finished product to look like.

I thought I would do a gel fuel fireplace, which would allow for semi-realistic looking ceramic logs and an open, crackling flame (unlike a gas fireplace, which is hidden behind glass and doesn't crackle).

So, fellow old house owners, what do you think? Is this an insult to my old house, or an enhancement? I haven't quite made up my mind.

Here is a link that might be useful: My finished product would look like this

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Adding a fireplace to a home that never had one

I like the look, although I don't know anything about gel fuel fireplaces. I am confused by your statement that a gas fireplace is hidden behind glass--my fireplace (natural gas) has nice realistic looking oak logs, and lives happily behind my bronze/cast iron surround and it's open grille-work front. Granted, it doesn't crackle, but the flames are open and look real, and put out heat.

Since I had a chimney already, I just hooked a new set of logs (once I found some small enough to fit the area) up to the existing piping. If you are going for an insertish thing, I think they make ventless ones...and I thought it was an option on any of them to remove the glass panels?

photo Fireplace.jpg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here