Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to make birch flush door match 60's mahogany luan flush door

Posted by mjsee (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 3, 09 at 14:55

Ok--I'll confess...this is a cross post from the paint forum. But after I posted there I realized a 1960's house constituted an "old" house these days. mea culpa...

Help! The bathroom door was delaminating and couldn't be saved. And my duct tape "fix" is MOST unattractive. I just put heart and soul into repainting this room...(all the walls AND the ceiling were painted in bright salmon high-gloss oil enamel) so I want to get rid of the duct taped door. House was built in 1966...all the doors are original. They have a great mid-century feel...and are in wonderful shape.

Original pink room:

From fall photos and pink bathroom

Redone room:
From fall photos and pink bathroom

The ONLY thing changed in that room is the paint color and the shower curtain. Yes, really.

Looked into getting a mahogany flush slab door...but they are difficult to find, and when found, expensive. (As in 5-6 times more.) So I think I'll have to make the birch one work. Any suggestions? I bought a can of Cabots Amberwood stain...and some satin finish poly (both oil) and a piece of birch ply to practice on...any other suggestions? At least I found a handyman who is willing to take a slab door and put the old hardware/knob on.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to make birch flush door match 60's mahogany luan flush d

Experiment with Cabot Interior Pre-Stain Wood Conditioner.

Here is a link that might be useful: conditioner

o

luan slab doors are really cheap, like $ 40. maybe someone quoted you real mahogony by mistake. you can special order them from HD or even online. make sure you get stain grade, not paint grade. also when i ordered some for my 50's house, i did not realize the door knob opening was larger on a modern door than my old door hardware, so i recommend you check measurements.

o

Door update...

The local full service lumberyard is taking an old door I found in the attic, cutting it down, re-gluing the stile, and it will be ready by tomorrow afternoon.

So it will all match!

YAY!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here