Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Another squeaky subfloor

Posted by joel_bc (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 19, 14 at 14:06

The main floor of our old (1975) house has 5/8" plywood subflooring, over joists at 16-inch centers. In the kitchen & adjoining dining room, this was covered with vinyl flooring. About six years ago, we wanted to change the flooring, and since the subfloor beneath the vinyl had always squeaked quite a lot, I asked the local building supply from which we were buying the new linoleum what to do to prepare.

They recommended putting extra screws in through the subflooring and into all the joists - at the rate of a screw every six inches. I did that. We followed this by applying half-inch MDF above, and then the lino went down onto that. Absolutely no squeaks.

We're likely to change the wall-to-wall carpeting in our living room this year, and so I wonder about the process for getting the squeaks out there too. I could simply follow the former advice (a screw every half foot), but it's a tedious job and I've wondered if it is actually overkill?

Opinions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Another squeaky subfloor

The process has been made much easier, as time goes by, by specially adapted screw guns, which operate at or from a standing position.

o

snoonby you wrote: "The process has been made much easier, as time goes by, by specially adapted screw guns, which operate at or from a standing position."

Okay. Well, I don't own one of those, and my tool would require being on my knees. Not sure if my nearest tool rental has one, either, plus the rental agency is an hour's drive away (hence 2 hours of driving).

Anyhow, what I asked is whether the rcommendation would be a screw every six inches into the joists (or is this overkill?)

o

I would think it is overkill. You should be able to get away with a screw every 18 - 24 inches I would think.

o

"Anyhow, what I asked is whether the rcommendation would be a screw every six inches into the joists (or is this overkill?)"

My answer did not offer an exception or elimination of screws, ergo, acceptance as well as a less," tedious job", solution.

I guess you could order the screws delivered, so you would not have to leave the house, to save your knees and back

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here