Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Windows - Noise is a factor

Posted by jamgra (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 28, 13 at 13:43

Hello,

A previous owner replaced all of my home's old double-hung windows with a vinyl replacement sash.

I am going to have some custom wood sashes with true divided lights and new wood storm windows made up. The one challenge I am facing is that I live near an airport, so noise abatement is a huge issue. I know the storm windows will help, but the ones I'm looking at will have a screen insert, so presumably won't be blocking any noise during the summer.

What kind of options should I looking into given that noise is an issue? Would a thicker glass pane in the window be feasible? I've talked to someone that can do 1/8", but he didn't think there would be much benefit going thicker than that.

Should I look into laminated glass? Is there any visual difference between laminated glass and regular glass? The one shop I talked to said they didn't think it would be worth it.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Jim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Windows - Noise is a factor

I'm pretty sure that all laminated glass will do is prevent breaking into jagged sharp pieces. If you want ventilation in the summer, you are pretty much going to have the noise issue no matter what...in time, you will hardly notice it.

o

Double-paned windows minimize the airport noise, but only if they are closed.

o

Mass absorbs sound.
Laminated glass won't help at all.
Double pane might help but with the frequencies of airplane noise I don't think it would help much.
Isolation is key but an airplane is such a wide varity of frequencies I don't think window make up will matter much.
When the whole house is shaking the glass is shaking too.

o

funny, our POs replaced every window (except the basement windows) with crummy vinyl, too - and I live near an airport - and my name is Jim - I thought I wrote this and then forgot ... Anyway - check with your local metro government about airport noise abatement programs. The cost of your new windows may be partially covered by that program (if your town or city has one - if not, insist they develop one)

I would love to replace our windows, but were just poor little church mice living here ... one day, maybe. Im Jealous ...

o

You've chosen historical authenticity over sound reduction, so there's not much that can be done. Any higher STC glass is offset by all the wood and the loose-fitting storms. In fact, the old storms aren't meant to be tight.

Here is a link that might be useful: Laminated Windows for Noise Reduction

o

Double pane might help but with the frequencies of airplane noise I don't think it would help much.

In my SO's experience, it does: and this house is under the flight path of a small airport. The reduction in the noise was immediate when the double-paned windows went in.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here