Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msvangogh7

Pictures of our antique..Please comment/advise

msvangogh7
15 years ago

the link below has pictures of our house which I posted about earlier this morning..you'll see what I mean by it needing a lot of work!! Please comment..I would love to hear others ideas :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Our antique fixer

Comments (8)

• missouri1
    15 years ago

I love it. What kind of dog you got there? I can't tell from the back but it resembles some of my furbabies. You know what I'd do for the living room is take those sheers and put up some shades and window toppers. I bet you could find some toppers that would look great in there.

I really like some of the woodwork in there. Is it the attic space that has the skylight? Hopefully it isn't one of those that drips condensation. The rental I am in now has horrible skylights in. They heat it in the summer and drip in the rian or cool weather.

The floors look well loved. Those are going to look awesome refinished.

What plans do you have for the house and what features do you plan to update or change?

• msvangogh7
    Original Author
    15 years ago

well, I was thinking about have a professional restoration company come out from CT and see what they think. I'm not very good at these things! But, we'll have to wait awhile longer because of the cost. The company is gulick and spradlin in Madison CT. Anyone have any experience with them?

• golddust
    15 years ago

Maybe it's not a dog - rather fur on a coat hood? Great looking house. Now the real works begins! Good luck. We on year 18 and counting down the years until we're finished.

• msvangogh7
    Original Author
    15 years ago

lol..it is a dog..our shih tzu Teddie. he's in need of a grooming in the pic. We've been here 3 1/2 years.. I guess we have a long time ahead of us as far as fixing this old place.

• igloochic
    15 years ago

I took almost 200 years to get into it's current condition....give it time to get back to beautiful.

But for what it's worth...I know it's hell (I grew up in a victorian with a bad roof, bad wiring, bad water pipes blah blah) and given my experience...umm I'm buying a victorian with bad water, bad roof..heh heh Some people just love torture :) It's a fabulous home. Adore it as I do from afar! Just give it a couple hundred years :)

• missouri1
    15 years ago

I thought it might be a Tzu but I couldn't quite tell from the back. I have 3 black and white and one gold and white.

• golddust
    15 years ago

I was just sure it was a fur collar on a hood jacket. I saw one just like that at Costco... LOL!

Guys, igloochick's new house is to die for. Yes, she is getting in deep with this one but if anyone can handle it, she can. It's a money pit. Please come back, igloo, and post the link to your photos (second set). Make us green with all that potential!

• igloochic
    15 years ago

LOL Golddust. I'll make a separate photobucket of the house tomorrow to share and post it. It is a fun house if nothing else. I should also add some pictures of the house that got away (It's called French House, in Duluth MN). Someday we hope we'll buy it as well. We adored that house sooooo much!!!

When I was growing up I always wanted to be the Indiana Jones of home renovation, dealing with historic architecture of all periods (this is what happens when you grow up in Port Townsend, WA a gorgeous victorian seaport). My dream home has always been a 1700's cape cod :) And the OP's home certainly meets those dreams...what a charmer :o)