Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
rusty sink overflow and drain--salvageable?

Posted by fori (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 20, 14 at 12:55

Hi all.

I have a tiled-in bathroom sink with a little rust around the drain and overflow opening.

It's getting to the point where we would like to do some minor modifications to the bathroom (add a ventilation fan and replace the window with a door) that will require some expense and effort to maintain the current tile scheme. I would like to KEEP the existing sink/tile/toilet/tub but I want to know if the sink is shot before I do.

You know how it is...if sink goes, the counter has to go (and then the floor and tub surround). And if the sink goes, the matching toilet and tub...ahhh it snowballs.

It's not all that special and it's from the 1950s and not the slightest bit historic. It's even sort of ugly.

But anyway, how can I know if my sink is OK, or at least assure myself it'll hold up in the future? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: rusty sink overflow and drain--salvageable?

Photos? Is it porcelain enamel?

o

Hi, Peanut!

It's um...whatever was used on '50s cast iron sinks. I guess enamel?

Here's the overflow. I think the white stuff is Comet. Kids are terrible at cleaning...

o

My husband epoxied our 2 bathtubs and one old bathroom sink. Because he did it himself there are some brushmarks, But I would think if your sink is white, you might be able to just touch up those trouble areas. The key is preparation.

A friend of mine who had a "professional" with a sprayer do it had a disaster. the woman didn't do any prep and the sink started to peel within weeks. While it lasted there were no brushmarks tho.

Good luck,
Kathy

o

Thanks, Kathy. It's actually pinkish. Not the cool pink, either. But it seems like most of the rusting is inside where it won't show--as long as it slows the rusting it's worth checking out.

It looks like I'll have to get in there and remove the drain and see just how far it's gone.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here