Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annfarr_gw

Period appropriate kitchen wall clock

annfarr
11 years ago

Hi! I've been aware of this site for years, because it shows up so often in my web searches.
Now I have 2 questions I can't seem to answer with a web search and hope someone can help.
I'm redoing the kitchen in my 1890s central staircase colonial (think it's been 30-40 years). I'm not wedded to complete authenticity, but would like a period feel. I have a great cabinet-maker who is finishing beadboard doors (upper) and replacement lower cabinets (water leak heavy damage; had to gut). I have an old hutch-ful + of old Ridgway blue willow china. I'm almost set on sink and worktops.
I'm working on ways to introduce color accents that will counterpoint the blue & white. My first idea was unmatched colored glass canisters/large jars in jewel tones, but although I can find plenty of cobalt, green and amber I can find no red or cranberry. Now I'm looking at collecting several Bordalo Pinheiro plates in different colors lined up along the counter backsplash.
Where I am really stuck is choosing a wallclock. The only logical location is above the kitchen sink (not behind it--there's a window there.) There are three doors, four windows, six wall cabinets and the hutch (and refrigerator) so above the sink is the only place left.
I don't want kitsch--CocaCola, Sylvester the cat, or even anything with a fruit or floral design. I have a lovely old gingerbread wallclock, but this would be too high a spot for it to be appreciated--you'd be looking up at the base.
Any ideas of what style would be appropriate?
Best,
LaurieAnn

Comments (4)

• columbusguy1
    11 years ago

Your options for placement seem pretty narrow--why can't a clock go between, say a door and window, or between two of either?

For an 1890s house, you will not use an electric clock--but one which winds with a key...or a portable model which winds with a knob on the back. Check out Westclox 'Big Ben peg leg clocks' on ebay--I found a nice one which sits on my dresser.

For a wall-mounted clock, you would want a 'regulator' style, or a smallish clock with a pendulum. My main clock in the entry hall is about 2.5-3 feet high, has a cherry case, brass pendulum and roman numerals on the dial...I got it about twenty years ago at Meijer's for $36! I wind it once a week, and it keeps very good time! The clock is a Duncan Pfyffe colonial style.

Personally, I find nothing brings to mind a comfortable home more than the quiet ticking of a clock...and you don't need to reset it when the power goes out!

Here is a link that might be useful: Peg Leg Clocks

This post was edited by columbusguy1 on Mon, Feb 11, 13 at 15:48

• Laura6NJ
    11 years ago

There are some nice, original kitchen clocks, late 19th century that would be appropriate. Original kitchen clocks have a spring that you wind with a key. If you want a clock to go on a wall, I would be looking at a schoolhouse clock.

We love Merrits, have bought many tallcases and other style clocks from them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Merrits Clock shop

• Laura6NJ
    11 years ago

I realized you may not know what an antique kitchen clock looks like so my link would not be too helpful. They were ornate looking but affordable at the time. The wood was usually pressed so it had a design, some had applied carvings or moldings. Some kitchen clocks have timers. Many have been refinished, the ones that have not been are very dark at this point.

I am including a link to a kitchen clock so you can see an example.

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen clock

• sloyder
    11 years ago

Maybe just a simple round clock with a wooden frame