Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annfarr_gw

Period appropriate kitchen wall clock

annfarr
11 years ago

Hi! I've been aware of this site for years, because it shows up so often in my web searches.
Now I have 2 questions I can't seem to answer with a web search and hope someone can help.
I'm redoing the kitchen in my 1890s central staircase colonial (think it's been 30-40 years). I'm not wedded to complete authenticity, but would like a period feel. I have a great cabinet-maker who is finishing beadboard doors (upper) and replacement lower cabinets (water leak heavy damage; had to gut). I have an old hutch-ful + of old Ridgway blue willow china. I'm almost set on sink and worktops.
I'm working on ways to introduce color accents that will counterpoint the blue & white. My first idea was unmatched colored glass canisters/large jars in jewel tones, but although I can find plenty of cobalt, green and amber I can find no red or cranberry. Now I'm looking at collecting several Bordalo Pinheiro plates in different colors lined up along the counter backsplash.
Where I am really stuck is choosing a wallclock. The only logical location is above the kitchen sink (not behind it--there's a window there.) There are three doors, four windows, six wall cabinets and the hutch (and refrigerator) so above the sink is the only place left.
I don't want kitsch--CocaCola, Sylvester the cat, or even anything with a fruit or floral design. I have a lovely old gingerbread wallclock, but this would be too high a spot for it to be appreciated--you'd be looking up at the base.
Any ideas of what style would be appropriate?
Best,
LaurieAnn

Comments (4)