Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to clean cardboard type layer off subfloor

Posted by orchidca (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 7, 09 at 12:03

We have removed the asbestos layers off our 1915 year old fir floor and now have this kind of cardboard looking layer left that is adhered to the fir subloor. Note: we had the floor layers tested and the asbestos culprits was sandwiched between other layers so we are not dealing with asbestos in this final layer.

How do we safely remove it?

I've heard of pouring water on the subfloor to loosen the adhesive, but we don't want to introduce too much water into the insulation below.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to clean cardboard type layer off subfloor

Are you intending to refinsh the fir? Sanding will take the layer off.
If the fir is finished, heat should work by loosening the finish underneath. The finish and the cardboard will come up.

o

We are intending to refinish the floor. The cardboard/adhesive layer is pretty thick. What kind of sander do you recommend? If it's a powerful hand sander, would we run the risk of creating an uneven floor?

The fir is not finished.If we tried heat, what form? Thanks!

o

I got some scary gunk off of my fir subfloor by using the Silent Paint Remover, it's an infrared heater. You hold it over the surface for a number of seconds, and it softens & bubbles up the layer enough to get a nice sharp scraper underneath it to scrape it up. Tedious, but it worked very well without damaging the floor or creating any low spots or dips. I sanded the fir for refinishing afterwards.

The SPR is very pricy at $390, but I was able to resell mine almost at cost -- look on eBay etc for a used one perhaps? And in all honesty, if you have an infrared space heater, I bet it would work just as well. Just exercise caution, as always!

Here is a link that might be useful: Silent Paint Remover

o

Before you sand, have you had the adhesive under the cardboard layer tested for asbestos?

o

Before you break out all the harsh chemicals, you might try some hot water and a little vinegar. You don't have to pour water all of the place - just spray or mop it on and wait for the cardboard to absorb it. Do a little test area and see if it works.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here