Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ice to see you!

Posted by aarongould (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 1, 10 at 11:36

When I purchased my new (old) home I bought with the realization that the windows would soon need to be replaced. Most are about 30 years old, but the biggest window at the front of the house is original to the home and hence is about 80 years old. The previous owner installed storm wondws on the exterior so I made the asumption that this would help most of the heat in as a temporary measure.

When I woke up this morning (before the furnace kicked in) I realized that there was ice built up on the front window... and upon closer inspection realized that the ice was on the inside of the window! I always felt a little draft come in, but now I know that it needs to be replaced asap!

Does anyone have general ball parks for what kind of cost I am looking at? There are 4 windows side by side at about 5ft by 2ft each at the front of the house. There are also four other mid-sized windows on the main level that I would like to replace eventually as well (but less of a priority).

Thanks all!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ice to see you!

Drapes are cheaper in the short-term. And won't destroy the character the way replacement windows do. I completed restoring and weatherstripping all my old wood windows (1907) on my house this summer. It was really worth it. Even with the thermostat at 64, the house isn't drafty anymore.
I get Ice only on the storms, BTW. Your storms probably need work if they are letting that much cold in. My lowest overnight temps this winter have only been around 12*, so we'll see if it gets any colder.
Window restored

W-strip window bottom

W-strip on window heads

Weatherstrip on check rail

Weatherstripping Project Materials

The material to weatherstrip a window runs about $5.00., but it will take a day of work to strip all the paint and if you want to remove all the glass and strip and prime and paint and re-glaze the sash, you're talking a week to do two windows in your spare time.
That's my story.
Casey

o

Good answer. I have had ice on my inside aluminum framed double glazed windows in a brand new house........so new windows don't mean it won't happen. Some of my windows are original..IOW nearly two hundred years old. They can be brought up to snuff. Gimme wood windows any day.

o

Thanks! A response that saves me money is a great answer! Any preference to what kind of weatherstripping? My windows do not open at all and the previous owner has already installed storm windows (that dont seem to be doing much).

o

We had an energy audit done and he recommended the 3M brand, which is more expensive then the Frost King. He said the tape was better and makes a better seal. Don't know if it's true or not. He also did not recommend replacing windows as any of the top 5 things we needed to do. Regardless, we plastic all the window (old and new) every winter and have insulated curtains I got on sale from JCPenney. These things help much. For other windows, there are other resources for insulating the space where the cords in double hungs are, I think Old House Journal had a video on it. And, as always, there's the Working Windows book and other great web resources.

o

You can find excellent instructions for making your own removable/reusable interior storm windows that use shrink type plastic at: www.midcoastgreencollaborative.com. The big trouble with using the double sided tape each year is that it tends to peel off the finish at removal time. These windows eliminate that problem and cost less than $10 each to make.You don't have to buy new plastic each year, either.

o

Thanks for the tip on Midcoast Green Collaborative. Instead of sitting & shivering, this may be this weekend's project.

o

Yes! Thanks! This looks much more practical!

For anyone else interested the website is actually www.midcoastgreencollaborative.ORG

o

Oh that's great! Adding to my to-do list, thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here