Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pebbledash...matching the exterior?

Posted by donka (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 24, 09 at 11:24

Hi folks,

I've got an old house built in 1914. The exterior is done in what I've been told is called 'pebbledash'. Apparently you put a layer of cement on the house first, then literally throw stones at it which stick to the surface. PO's of the house downsized a couple windows and left the exterior with just a layer of cement. I'm having a really hard time imagining how I'm going to fix this so that it matches the original finish. Does anyone have any experience with this type of finish? I'm located in Ontario, Canada, so if anyone out there knows someone who specializes in doing/repairing this kind of thing, let me know please!

Thanks,
Donna

window

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pebbledash...matching the exterior?

We have a lot of that kind of repair in my neighborhood. The pebble dash process is kind of cool. They use a large brush and snap it to throw the finish coat on to the scratch coat. Unfortunately, even if they get the texture really close, the color never quite matches. Some people try to paint the stucco, but again for whatever reason the patch shows through. The only truly seemless fix I have seen is to redash the whole house, but that is very pricey.

Not sure how attached you are to the smaller window, but any thought to putting in a window that was the original size?

BTW, Love the post on your porch.

o
RE: pebbledash...matching the exterior?

I love the posts too :) The porch is in serious need of repair, as is the rest of my house, so I'll probably be hanging out here a lot.

Unfortunately, or fortunately, I guess it depends on how you look at it, the PO's put in a bathroom where that window is, and a shower stall is on the left of that window so I can't downsize. I'm taking the shower out and turning it into a small powder room and a wall will then be to the left of the window so it pretty much has to stay approximately the same size :(

I sort of figured I'd have to redo the whole exterior. Boo. I wonder what the process is for prepping this kind of finish to be refinished. Will I have to scrape off all these stones somehow?

Pebbledash 003

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here