Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
19th century door hardware mystery

Posted by jlc102482 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 11, 13 at 11:23

After removing my home's upstairs interior door hardware to remove the paint on them, I noticed a patent date of 1870 on the back of all the locks (Corbin rim locks). My house was built in 1857, yet the door hardware dates to at least 13 years after that. I don't think they're later additions, because the wood under the hardware is completely bare with no trace of paint or finish, and there are no holes or ghosts of different hardware. I searched every door, and I can't find one trace of previous hardware on either side. I thought it was really odd that someone would have changed all the hardware on all 6 doors such a short time after the house was built. I came up with three possible explanations:

1. The hardware was changed, but door hardware in the 1850s - 1870s was standardized and all exactly the same size with holes in exactly the same places;

2. The upstairs doors weren't added until a while after the house was built (unlikely, since they're consistent with 1850s door construction)
3. The build date of my house is wrong (?)

I attached a link of what my hardware looks like. It's identical except for the patent date, which is January 1870.

Anyone have any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 19th century door hardware mystery

The link:

Here is a link that might be useful: My door hardware

o

Maybe all the doors were replaced, hardware and all?

Are you sure about the build date? There might have been an earlier house

o

Maybe they ran short of money so didn't put hardware on for few years. People often spent money downstairs where "folks saw their house" Is the downstairs same hardware as upstairs? Maybe worried about kids "locking themselves or each other in rooms "!

o

Aren't products produced and sold while a patent is in process? I see many items with this info. If so, they still could have been available prior to 1870.

o

Well that's a puzzle.....
Build date wrong? I'd say probably, and at least more likely than a possible rogue date on the hardware. The patent office couldn't have been so busy in 1870 that the date would not be THAT DATE.

o

Patent Pending labels don't have a date. They aren't prescient.
Casey

o

I'm beginning to wonder if the upstairs of my house was simply not finished when the house was first built. It's odd, in any case. I guess at this point I'll just be thankful I still have all the old hardware intact and in good working order! After they get a fresh coat of black enamel and a little WD-40, they're going right back on the doors where I hope they'll stay for another 143 years. Thanks for the ideas!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here