Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sioushi

Is 1950 molding 'architectural salvage' worthy?

sioushi
13 years ago

The DM (darling manthing) and I are butting heads. I just bought a house built in 1950 (a kind of hybrid ranch/bungalow style). I'm replacing the 70" x 40" window and casing above the kitchen sink. The paint on the interior and exterior sills in terrible shape, and lead-containing chips shower down whenever the window is opened - onto my food prep surface! No thanks! So he's ripping off the window casing, I'm stripping the exterior sill (which is sound) and the inside of the window frame, and we're replacing the sashes.

The window casing (millwork / molding) is the problem. I want to save it - one side is damaged, and would need replacing, but the rest just needs stripping and can be reused (after sealing). He says chuck it and buy new at Home Depot. I say it's vintage. He says it's cheap pine tract home stuff that was cranked out all through the 50s and is not worth saving. He says he can reproduce the profile. I say it's cheaper to strip. He says have you EVER stripped a window and do you know how much work this is?

So... 1950 window trim. Worth saving, or scrap it? Opinions?

Comments (6)