Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lime plastering - anyone here do this?

Posted by jlc102482 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 14, 13 at 10:06

I attended a seminar over the weekend about lime horsehair plastering. It was held at a house museum that was built in 1810 and is in the process of being restored.The seminar was fascinating and very useful too, as my house has lime plaster walls that are in need of some TLC. I don't think I'd attempt to do an entire wall, but I think I have learned enough to at least patch cracks and holes.

Does anyone here plaster and if so, do you use lime or gypsum? Any tool recommendations or tips?

Here is a link that might be useful: The house museum the seminar was held at

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lime plastering - anyone here do this?

Hi,
The group I work with did an 1815 house back in 2009 where the owners wanted one room done 100% original, with reusing the split heart pine lath and using lime&horsehair plaster. We used an experienced plasterer who was keen on learning this lost art.
It worked pretty well, the room is very quiet. We procured the materials from Virginia Lime Works.
The flooring will have to be exceedingly well-protected, as the walls need to be sprayed down (soaked) between coats. Tons of water.
New plaster keys in new wall (190 year old lath!) photo DSC02762.jpg

Ceiling scratch coat photo DSC02758.jpg

Old chair rail, new plaster photo DSC02757.jpg

white lime plaster photo DSC02780.jpg

Finished room:
Front wall of Parlor photo DSC02875.jpg

Casey

o

You do know how long 100% lime plaster takes to cure?

Lime putty with plaster of Paris added was far more common.

Plastering Skills by F. Van Den Branden and Thomas L. Hartsell is still listed on Amazon.

o

Casey

That is awesome!

o

Yes, we had to wait months to paint.
Casey

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here