Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plaster bonding agent vs. Elmer's glue question

Posted by slateberry51 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 25, 11 at 10:00

So in my various wall repair sagas I happily learned on this forum about plaster bonding agents (Link, plasterweld, weld-o-bond, eucoweld, etc.). People have also suggested using elmer's glue mixed with water as a convenient substitute.

My question: in learning about calcimine problems, it seems the main reason that calcimine causes problems with the adhesion of new paint is that it is a glue-based coating, and the water in the new layer of paint reliquifies the glue and the calcimine separates from the base layer.

So, if I used elmer's glue instead of bonding agent, would that be setting me up for paint adhesion problems down the line? Or is elmer's sufficiently different from the glue in calcimine that I'd have nothing to worry about?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plaster bonding agent vs. Elmer's glue question

The commercial bonding agents are the same general type of glue (polyvinyl acetate) as Elmer's, and none of it should be exposed after the repair anyway.

You only apply bonding agent to the exposed edges of the plaster, not swab it all over the place.

"it seems the main reason that calcimine causes problems with the adhesion of new paint is that it is a glue-based coating,"

This may not be correct.
Calcimine does not always have ANY glue, but can be made up from lime and water. It then hardens by absorbing CO2.
The glue based versions likely used hide glue, and it is well known to have little water resistance.

o

Sweet! I knew someone around here would know. Thanks for the clarification; I've been telling friends they could use elmer's in a pinch, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't steering them wrong.

Hey brick, I noticed you mentioned finding an old Boston Herald in a another posting of yours. I didn't know you were a local! Can you contact me directly from my member page? I'd like to ask you for a reference in the Greater Boston area.

o

Use Moore's Calcimine Recoater 306. It's a special oil-based primer to seal the surface. I would not use anything water-based. Glue will pull as it dries and can lead to blistering. When you apply bonding agent, it is significantly more watery than glue, and it's ideally rolled or sprayed on so there's enough liquid to penetrate.
Casey

o

"Hey brick, I noticed you mentioned finding an old Boston Herald in a another posting of yours. I didn't know you were a local!"

I lived in Nashua, NH for a year doing missile electronics for Raytheon.

I actually owned a former mayor of Nashua's house (purchased from his son when he was closing the estate).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here