Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A good explanation of why I love my old house--how bout you?

Posted by slateberry51 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 26, 12 at 8:52

I was reading an article in Wired about the surprisingly high incidence of visitors becoming overtaken with the certitude that they are the messiah (The God Complex, Wired March 2012), and came on this passage. As you read it, substitute a few words, and you could be talking about your beloved old house:

"Like every city, it's the combination of architecture and storytelling that makes Jerusalem more than just a crossroads. Great cities, the places that feel significant and important when you walk their streets, always rely on stagecraft--a deftly curving road, finely wrought facades, or a high concentration of light-up signage can all impart a sense of place, of significance. This architectural trickery can even instill a feeling of the sacred. The colonnades around St. Peter's square at the Vatican, the rock garden at Ryoanji temple in Kyoto, and the pillars at the Jamarat bridge near Mecca all shoot laser beams of transcendence into the brain of the properly primed visitor. "Part of the experience of going to these places is the interweaving of past and present," says Karla Britton, an architectural historian at the Yale School of Architecture. "There's a collapse of time. And for some people who visit these sacred sites and spaces, this collapse can be psychologically disorienting."
(--end quote--)

Substitute healing, inspiring, or calming for the last word of the quote, and you've got my house.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A good explanation of why I love my old house--how bout you?

Have you been inhaling lead paint?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here