Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deeeeeleeeeete

Your favorite archectural salvage places

Debbie Downer
11 years ago

Was about to take a trip to the large salvage warehouse in Dubuque but it appears to be closed - phone out of service, emails bounced. Anyone have any favorite places in the midwest they can share? Was thinking of doing a salvage tour for my summer vacation!

Not sure what I'm going to do about replacing some trim - just need a few pieces. Could always have some custom made, but I want the old stuff!!!

Besides that, I always like to go and just see what's there - often get ideas/inspiration from what I find. Sometimes, you don't know what you need until you see it!

Comments (17)

• jlc102482
    11 years ago

I'm in New York, and my two favorite places are Historic Houseparts in Rochester and Buffalo Reuse in Buffalo. Houseparts is just amazing to browse through, and they carry items I can't find anywhere else. ReUse sells materials (mostly antique) like windows, doors, trim, cast iron sinks, etc. that have been donated or salvaged from demolitions.

Even if you're nowhere near NY and have no plans to visit, I highly recommend looking at Houseparts' website! It's almost as much fun as browsing the store in person.

http://www.historichouseparts.com/

• sombreuil_mongrel
    11 years ago

I bought my cool 1884 stained glass-tile bedecked back door on ebay from a seller located in CT called Capitolsalvage. They ship very reasonably, and have a large selection of doors and shutters most of the time.
    I can state that they are reliable in the descriptions and are good traders.
    Casey

Here is a link that might be useful: Ebay store

• jakabedy
    11 years ago

Not Midwestern, but Southern Accents in Cullman, Alabama is a great resource.

Here is a link that might be useful: Southern Accents

• arlosmom
    11 years ago

Caravati's in Richmond, Virginia is one of the nicest, best organized salvage place I've ever been, and we hit salvage stores every opportunity we get.

Here is a link that might be useful: Caravati's

• columbusguy1
    11 years ago

Here's one:
    Columbus Architectural Salvage

and:

Greater Columbus Antique Mall

Both are in Columbus, Ohio.

• jmc01
    11 years ago

Jan's Antiques - Chicago.

• kellienoelle
    11 years ago

Not too far from you, have you been to Architectural Salvage in Kansas City?

http://www.aoarchitecturalsalvage.com/

• KevinMP
    11 years ago

Provenance and Re-Store in Philly are good.

• graywings123
    11 years ago

Oh, I love Caravati's in Richmond.

And for columbusguy1 . . .
    lath

• Fori
    11 years ago

There's a nice antique store/mall near Cass Tech in Detroit with a lot of salvage scattered about, especially upstairs. Haven't been there in a few years but I bet they're still there.

• dirt_cred
    11 years ago

There are more and more in the Twin Cities. I'm linking to a google search but I know that this isn't hitting all of them. Rehab Addict on DIY and HGTV hits on a few from time to time.

Here is a link that might be useful: salvage Minneapolis google

• Debbie Downer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow- lots of places! I think a trip to Twin Cities is next up for me. Best name award goes to: Better Homes and Garbage

Your mention of Detroit (fori) makes me wonder if any sort of concerted effort is being made to salvage the vast amount of materials there. Seems like there would be a WEALTH of resources there to be found in the miles and miles of collapsed and crumbling buildings....?

• lauren674
    11 years ago

We found our beautiful bookcase colonnades at Bauer Brothers in MN. I had the same thought about the abandoned homes in detroit.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bauer Brothers Salvage

• Imhappy&Iknowit IOWA zone 4b
    11 years ago

Des Moines Iowa West End Architectural Salvage
    Get the address off the web site. The street address where the building is located is UNDER the bridge across the street from the old fire station. It faces east, on the north corner. While you're stopped at the stop sign looking for it, look right where you are.

Here is a link that might be useful: West End Architectural Salvage

• antiquesilver
    11 years ago

Another recommendation for Caravati's in Richmond. I've been a regular there for 25 years & one year I was even on their Christmas card list! I live a stone's throw from the river & they're on the opposite bank & over the years, they've come to understand that I like to wander around & browse without actually looking for anything specific.

• jmc01
    11 years ago

Fori, are you referring to Architectural Salvage Warehouse on 15th st? I recognize this by your referral to "upstairs". We have been regulars there but found the quality declined since the founder left. She was awesome and had a real appreciation for the artistic side of salvage.

A strong concerted effort has not been made to salvage in Detroit.

• susiemw
    11 years ago

In Kalamazoo Michigan the Heritage Company is great. It's huge. The entire basement which is HUGE is only doors and windows. The main floor (made up of 3 old buildings is everything else. And part of the main floor also has two walls of doors.

150 N Edwards St Kalamazoo, MI 49007
    (269) 385-1004

Good luck with your search.

Susan