Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
old wood floor's need help!

Posted by reeree_natural (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 24, 08 at 8:20

Would any of you know how to fix wood flooring that has split on the outer edges and left chunks of missing wood in-between the wood planks? I have tried wood fill and stain, but it doesnt last. May be there is a better product?

We had our floors refinished a few years back, the floor guy shouldnt of sanded them down they way he did, it is more like a veneer now, so there is no strength to the wood. ( 120 years old) We would rip them up but we are planning to sell in a few months and want to try to fix the "bad spots" Have any of you ever experienced this? Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!
Thanks!!
Ree

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: old wood floor's need help!

If there as thin as you say, you may not be able to "pass it off" to a new owner and may have to fix properly, not patch it, it before you sell. Wood filler or patching will only point out the problem.

o

wianno
To do a full rip out and install a new floor would be very costly . We would never re-coup that money and would be a gift to the new owners..so I can't even entertain that. We were going to rip them out a few years back and do wide heart pine boards..never got to it as we did so much reno's as it is. The floor area is very large and that same flooring is the same in three rooms that kind of go into one another.. I guess I will call a floor expert and see if he can offer any help (to fix it)
Thanks!

o

If there are just a few boards you could take them out and replace with new or if you have another place in the house that has the same wood but not in a noticable area (closet, under stairs, attic). It's a delicate process, but it can be done. Then you could sand down the new piece, stain it to match and finish.

o

mom2lilenj
That is a great idea! I never thought of that..thanks!
Yes, it's just in a few spots. I was very up set back when the guy sanded them way too much. We had every plan to rip them. Now we are going to put the house on the market in a few months and have to do something.. Thanks once again, I appreciate it very much!
Ree

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here