Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisab_2007

Countertop material for old house

lisab_2007
17 years ago

We are at the point with a kitchen remodelling where we need to pick out countertop material. Our home was built in 1928 and to the best of our research is something between french normandy and english cotswald. Very steep roof line with a slate roof, copper gutters, stucco- like exterior ( but not really, it's much more substantial and a pewtery color) with stone accents. Inside there are lovely mouldings that are either walnut or cherry, the stain being very warm without being too dark. There is also some woodwork that has been painted white. There are peggeg wide planked floors in most of the house and a thinner herringboned pattern wood floor in the dining room. The front railing has spindles that are iron with a stained railing. The current kitchen put in in the 80's is white with a terra cotta floor...too cute and country for the home that really has a more european flair. So anyway, we are going with stained cabinetry and an 18" limestone looking tile floor. In the butler's pantry, the stain is a deeper brown on cherry to match the original Chrysler&Koppin refrigerator, the countertops will be limestone. In the kitchen the island will be this same deep stain and the perimeter cabinetry will be a medium stained cherry with a black glaze and fly-specks. We are having difficulty choosing a countertop material. Island and perimeter the same? Perimeter different? The granites all seem too 'modern' for this warm, worn house. Any suggestions? This may seem like a 'kitchen forum' question, but I thought there might be more folks on this site who are sensitive to taking the style and age of the home into consideration when restoring. Am I being overly thoughtful about a kitchen work surface? By the way, we our 3 kids and their many friends are in the kitchen a lot, and I cook a lot, too. Thanks for input. Lisa

Comments (3)