Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
odd flooring question

Posted by elsmerian (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 3, 10 at 7:39

I have a house that was built in the 1920s, and it has gone through a number of modifications over the years, and while I've been poking around attempting to determine the original layout I've come across a few things that are just inexplicable to me.

For instance, has anyone heard of a case where the hardwood floor runs clean under an interior wall so that it pokes out the other side? From all the design and construction books from the 1920s that Ive read, it seems like when there is an interior wall the top flooring (though not necessarily the sub floor) tends to stop where the plaster of that wall begins and then picks up again on the other side so that there is a gap in the flooring that is the same thickness of the wall. This always made sense to me, which is why I find it baffling that the flooring would stretch completely under the wall -- unless that wall was constructed over a pre-existing floor. However, I dont know how this is possible since that is the wall the main staircase is affixed to. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: odd flooring question

At the time your house was built, at least in this neck of the woods, the last thing to go in was hard wood flooring. This minimized the damage to the floor. There are a ton of reasons this condition exists.Subsequent owners didn't like lay out, house originally built like this, closet, who knows.
Sometimes its better to except things and not wonder. I have learned one thing over the years, there are pros, so-so pros,homeowners and hacks (the later 2 are sometimes the same category).
As far as the stair case,there are also other means to support a staircase other than a partition.

o
RE: odd flooring question

From your description, the hardwood floor on the first floor was installed before the interior wall, and the staircase. To my knowledge, this is not a structural defect. It does not weaken the structure, nor does it impede the installation of wiring and plumbing. Its easy enough to drill through the wooden flooring, as necessary. Why this was done is anybody's guess. It could have been a schedule snafu-the flooring people showed up on time, and for some reason the interior framing was not yet installed. The flooring crew did not know exactly where the interior wall was going to be located, so they went ahead and covered the entire first floor, as if it was one grand room.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here