Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elsmerian

odd flooring question

elsmerian
14 years ago

I have a house that was built in the 1920s, and it has gone through a number of modifications over the years, and while I've been poking around attempting to determine the original layout I've come across a few things that are just inexplicable to me.

For instance, has anyone heard of a case where the hardwood floor runs clean under an interior wall so that it pokes out the other side? From all the design and construction books from the 1920s that IÂve read, it seems like when there is an interior wall the top flooring (though not necessarily the sub floor) tends to stop where the plaster of that wall begins and then picks up again on the other side  so that there is a gap in the flooring that is the same thickness of the wall. This always made sense to me, which is why I find it baffling that the flooring would stretch completely under the wall -- unless that wall was constructed over a pre-existing floor. However, I donÂt know how this is possible since that is the wall the main staircase is affixed to. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Comments (2)