Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where to buy Krack kote and use on my ceiling joints?

Posted by alyceusvi (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 27, 07 at 7:18

A product which is called Krack Kote was suggested as a flexible joint and crack sealer. Does anyone have experience with this product? I can find TK Coatings on the web but no locations that carry this product. Has anyone ever found it in a Home Depot or hardware?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where to buy Krack kote and use on my ceiling joints?

I wonder if the plaster type stuff you use in log cabins would work?Its kinda flexible to move a little?We have that .we restored an old log cabin and used it.

o

do you have ceiling tiles? thats what i have and thought maybe i could use some kind of flexible calk to cover seams and then paint with a slight texture. i wonder if bathroom calk would work?

o

You can buy it from their website...it's a great product. I used it to fix hard plaster over masonry walls in our former residence. Takes a little practice to use it...one really has to feather it---can't be sanded later. If possible do your first 'repair' in a less than obvious place. I've included a link to their website.

melanie

Here is a link that might be useful: Krack Kote online store

o

A possible alternative to Krack Kote: BIG STRETCH, available at Ace Hardware (but apparently nowhere else), which is claimed to manage cracks as wide as 2 inches. I just a few days ago learned about this product from another thread and plan to use it to seal cracks in the joint between wall and ceiling. It might be worthwhile to compare the two products in terms of ease of use and performance.

o

Thanks to all for your feedback.This is a fantastic product. I originally found it at PPG Paint Stores. My family sent it to me and it arrived perfectly. We have my husband's train room above the living room and I wanted a completely finished ceiling over the exposed rafters. He didn't feel we could use cement board,and we don't use dry wall here. Because of the wood floor above which is movable he felt
anything that wasn't flexible would crack. I coverered the rafters with twelve sheets of 4 x 8 luan and used the krackote on every seam. The ceiling looks perfect and a year later no hint of any cracks. I use the tough kote on the exterior areas of concrete that are a little rough and the krackkote inside. I think it is a wonderful product. You can order it directly from tkocoatings in Illinois and they will send it UPS to your door. The web site is tkocoatings.com and phone 815-338-2006.If I could ever fiqure out how to post pictures I would include them but it is hopeless. If you email me I can send them as an attachment to the email.
Good Luck
AJ

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here