Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19692457

Living History

User
13 years ago

We bought a 1947 cape cod foreclosure last spring that had structural problems because of the PO's enthusiastic use of a backhoe against the foundation. It took 3 months to get it to move in condition so now the minor work is being done as time and money permits.

I was incredibly lucky to have the next door neighbor come by and give me some verbal history on the house and original owner. She also gave me his current address. I wrote him and heard nothing for many months. Nothing lost, nothing gained I thought.

Then I got a long email from his youngest son. We began corresponding. He cc'd his siblings and cousin. They started sending me old photos and memories of their childhood and the different phases of renovation the house and property has gone through. I am in historical heaven!

The original owner just turned 94 and the children will be visiting him in April. I've promised to send them updated photos of the house and property. I feel so connected and blessed by this relationship to the past, I just had to share with you.

Comments (3)