Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Built in china cabinets???

Posted by rosalynd (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 23, 06 at 3:15

Hi all,
I'm usually found in the kitchen forum but now that my kitchen is almost done I thought I'd visit here for a while. We recently bought a 1902 Colonial in the Northeast (MA) I'd love to see photos of other peoples built in china cabinets in a formal dining room, if anyone is willing to share them with me. I'll be uploading my pics off my camera and will share mine as well.
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Built in china cabinets???

We just bought an old farmhouse, and it has a built-in cabinet. I don't think it was original to the house, as the quality of wood and the way the drawers were built aren't high quality. BUT, it has little glass knobs and an old slide opening to the kitchen (which is painted shut and would open to the back of the fridge, but I'd love to reopen it). Anyway, it adds charm, and will look great once we strip and repaint it (like everything else :)).

o

I've got a bunch of cabinets built-in my formal dining room. We haven't started the restoring/remodeling in there yet, but here are some pictures from when we moved in.
Image hosting by Photobucket

o

Here is mine. I took out the mirror backsplash that was there and opened up the wall that was above the original.This wall is in common with my kitchen.This is a 1903 bungalow there is paneling all around the dinning room(where there are walls) some really old piano light fixtures built in over the pass thru and the inside of the cabinets. I am going to prbably have matching glass doors put on top opening, or at least trim it out.

Here is a link that might be useful: dinning room hutch

o

My 1910 home had a nook with a window, but no built in. I designed one and had it custom made (Plain & Fancy Kitchens). My friends all think it looks original. And I love the extra storage for all my stuff.

Here it is: There are some trim pieces missing on the ends. Those are now in. The top is a matching painted wood top.

o

I just have to say that these cabinets are so beautiful that I had my husand build me the bookcases, and they are wrapped about French doors. So glad that these were posted.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here