Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can painted shingle siding be repaired?

Posted by kimbuffalo (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 10, 10 at 2:24

We own a 1916 2 family house in Buffalo, NY. The sides and back of the house have wooden (I guess cedar) shingle siding and the front has asbestos siding. The back of the house is a mess- some shingles are broken, some are split, some are buckled, a few are missing. At the corners, where the side and back of the house meet, the shingles are pulling away from each other. What would be the most cost effective way to repair (if possible) or replace this siding? I'm worried about the amount of water that is getting behind the shingles and feel that we have to do something this Spring before the damage becomes too extensive. Since the front of the house has asbestos on it, I really don't want to put a 3rd kind of siding on the back (vinyl), but it is a rental property (we live in 1st floor apartment) and needs a lot of work so I don't want to spend a fortune on the back of the house.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can painted shingle siding be repaired?

My hubby, whose Cape house is entirely cedar shingles, says you can buy them these days from Home Depot in a box. The are random widths, but all 18" long. He just plugs in the new shingles primes and paints it, and you cannot tell any difference in looks.

It is probably the most cost effective way to do your repairs without having a noticeable change in materials, and the house will be all the better for it. I watched as hubby repaired his siding, and it was not a complicated process.

Until you get around to doing the repairs, if you think the damage may get worse before spring, just cover the area with a tarp big enough to keep water/snow from funneling to the interior. Staple it in place to keep wind from blowing and tearing it apart.

o

It's pretty easy to do. Even I tried it and was pretty successful. Here's a link to a short how to video (ignore the Bob Villa junk)

Repairing Shingles

Diane

o

Hi,

For replacement asbestos shingles, GAF makes WeatherSide shingles that are exact replacements without the asbestos. I bought a box of shingles, nails, and backing paper directly off their site. They come primed and ready for paint.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here