Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to cut through studs on a lathe and plaster wall?

Posted by artemis78 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 24, 13 at 2:06

We are widening the frame for a medicine cabinet and I would love advice on the best way to cut through a stud or a block (we have the option of either) with minimal damage to plaster on the other side. Our house originally had a medicine cabinet that was removed and drywalled over years ago (probably mid-70s based on fixtures), and we're finally replacing it (yay!) The good news is that when I cut the drywall patch off, the original framing was still intact. The bad news is that I am 3/4" shy of the width I need to fit the new cabinet.

We can either take the space from the block--when the house was built the stud must have been modified so the block is just the height of the cabinet opening--or from the stud on the other side. Taking it from the stud will get the cabinet close to centered over the sink, but I'm thinking that taking it from the block will be smarter as far as not damaging plaster on the opposite side of the wall--but maybe this isn't a huge concern? We can live with having the cabinet off center since someday we hope to redo the flooring and we can move the sink over an inch then.

Based on what I can find on how to do this, my tentative plan is to use a circular saw to cut most of the way through the wood and then use a chisel as I get close to the plaster keys for the opposite side of the wall. Any ideas on whether this will work, or if there's a better way to do it?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to cut through studs on a lathe and plaster wall?

Hi,
Screw a piece of 3/4" plywood over the area on the other side of the wall to clamp the lath and plaster to the unaffected sections of the studs. This will stabilize it as a unit during the cutting/reframing process. You will only have to fix the screw holes.
Casey

o

Not quite sure what you mean by the 'block' location, but I'd leave the stud alone as a trickier option and mount the cabinet slightly off-center, especially since future plans involve reflooring and altering the sink!

Any chance of slightly reducing the width of the cabinet itself?

o

Thanks! I thought about trying to shave the cabinet, but it only has thin plywood sides to start with so was worried about doing damage there.

The block is basically just a piece of wood (probably the piece of stud that was cut out) nailed to a horizontal 2x4 that is in turn nailed to the remaining studs. It formed the left edge of the original cabinet. We could also take it out and just move it, but the lathe is nailed to it so that seemed to have the potential to do a lot more plaster damage. (We have a clear inch on both the block and the stud that could be shaved with no impact to lathe, probably because of the way the original cabinet was set in place.)

The plywood stabilizer is a great idea, though--thanks!

o

We are widening the frame for a medicine cabinet and I would love advice on the best way to cut through a stud or a block (we have the option of either) with minimal damage to plaster on the other side.

I would worry about weakening the wall if you are cutting through the studs, unless you are somehow going to add "sisters" to them.

Re-do the cabinet so it's narrower, make a custom one, or buy a skinnier one.

o

In a load-bearing wall, you would treat this as a window opening with the appropriately-fitted header and jack studs; in a perfect world, that is.
Casey

o

Happily the wall is not load-bearing and there's already an additional cross support remaining from the original cabinet, so we're not too concerned about weakening it--it's actually been framed for a cabinet (albeit one that was 3/4" narrower!) for all of its almost-century-long life. Just trying to minimize cracks in the surrounding plaster when we modify the size of the framing. (It's also a pretty tiny room, so the space for the cabinet is only a few feet on either side from the studs and headers for the door and exterior wall.)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here