Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
old grates/switch plates/outlet cover sources?

Posted by kaypeakay (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 7, 08 at 1:12

I am looking up "architectural salvage" and old hardware, etc. on google and ebay, have found a couple of sites with old, vintage style grates and switch plate/outlet covers but not a whole lot. Does anyone else have any good sources they would be willing to share? I am usally over on the kitchens or home decorating forums, but thought this might be a more appropriate forum! Thanks in advance for any tips and help.
kpk

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: old grates/switch plates/outlet cover sources?

I've found that when looking on ebay, it's best to use the words "vintage" or "antique" in the search. I look for vintage grate, antique grate. Right now, there's quite a few hits with vintage grate. For switchplates, I've never found that you'll get alot of covers at one time and it takes alot of patience to build up a quantity. So, I shop at classicaccents.net. I've purchased also from rejuvenation.com, but the switchplate covers are about the same, just cheaper from classicaccents.

Do you live in a community that has architectural salvage stores? Because grates typically weight alot, often being made of cast iron, you can save on the shipping by shopping in store. That's the way we've purchased the grates that we have purchased. We're in greater Chicago but I've gone to salvage places across the country.

Are you looking for other hardware pieces? If so, try the exact name in your searches.

o

Thank you for your reply. I'll check out your suggestions.
kpk

o

Historic House Parts in Rochester, NY has some of the things you're looking for.

Here is a link that might be useful: Historic House Parts

o

Also houseofantiquehardware.com

Here is a link that might be useful: HouseOfAntiqueHardware.com

o

There are companies that make new vintage style hardware parts. We used Rejuvenations light switches and plates in our 1910 house, and they're an almost exact match to the originals.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rejuvenation

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here