Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nursekathleen

My 'new' Old House - lots 'o pics

nursekathleen
15 years ago

Six months ago my husband and I took the plunge and bought our "new" house - a 1923 former beach cottage. As with most old houses, it's had it's ups and downs, and many, many owners ;) The first owners had it for 40 years - then about 9 different families have lived here.

It needs HELP. While it isn't NEARLY as grandiose as some of the beautiful homes I've seen discussed here, it has a lot of nice character I fully intend to preserve. There is original woodwork that I adore. Alas, the previous owners - HORROR- painted some of it, and the bits they didn't paint, they did lousy jobs of painting the walls and globbed paint on my wonderful picture rail..etc. etc.

It is a former two bedroom that has been converted into a three, courtesy of a hack-job renovation of the attic. While poorly done, it's a fabulous space up there, though it's taken us MONTHS to finish! With a full time job each plus busy lives, it's hard. And a lifelong project, it appears. Anyway, I'll post some pics. Try not to be too harsh at the hideous siding. ;)

I really love the old details - the high baseboards, curved coved ceilings, hardwood (which desperately needs refinishing...sigh). It isn't beyond hope, I think :)

The beach is one house away. We are very lucky!

The ugly carpet we ripped out, revealing hardwood underneath, though it is in rough shape

I painted the circa ?1970's cheap cabinets, and will be replacing the godawful floor. None of the original kitchen is left :(

Gas fireplace is long gone, as is the mantle :( though the gas line is still there, capped.

Dining room, with original (and drafty!) windows

Back yard

Stained glass in the living room

The not-so-great attic room - which has no insulation and is mighty chilly, btw.

Poop brown siding and all - we love our little house!

Comments (9)