Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Marble Staircase Restoration

Posted by walrus (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 30, 09 at 22:18

Have a marble staricase in a 1920's building that I'm trying to fix up.

Some of the steps are wobbling on the stringers, others just need some grout.

I have access to the underside and can see that some material that looks like grout was used to secure the marble to the wooden stringers. As it's mostly separated from the marble in many places, I plan on chiseling it off and replacing it. I don't know what material to use, and can't find instructions or information online.

Was thinking of using a plaster/grout mix with bonding agents added and just smearing it on from the underside to bond the marble to the wooden stringers and then, at a later time, grouting the side that's used.

Looking for suggestions and leads to information on how to rebuild/restore/clean and polish the marble steps.

TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Marble Staircase Restoration

Go to the bathroom forum and post this question addressed to Bill V or Mongo. Both are experts and always provide great help. I bet they can help you out!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here