Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

I'm keeping the dining room :)

lavender_lass
12 years ago

As some of you may remember, I was gung ho to take down the wall, between the dining room and kitchen, when we remodel our old farmhouse. I didn't see any reason to keep the dining room and it would be more expensive to add on a keeping room (which is what I really want). So, with help from many on GW, (especially Summerfield) I worked on different plans that opened up the smaller spaces.

This summer, we started cleaning out the old house and going through decades worth of 'stuff'...some treasures, some junk...but all old. Well, something else happened, too. Many of my husband's family members started sharing their memories of the old house. The Christmas mornings, the holiday dinners, things that mean so much to a family. And, I found I didn't have the heart to do it. What I saw as an old dining room that blocked light to the kitchen...they saw as a wonderful part of their childhood.

So...we're keeping the dining room and adding the keeping room. We also decided to keep the bedroom (that's there now) as the study/guest room and add on a master suite. Yes, it's going to cost more...but if we're going to remodel the farmhouse...why not do what we really want?

Thanks to Summerfield, here's the final plan to remodel the farmhouse. I decided to pick up the details that were added in the 1920s and base the moldings, trim, etc. on that time period. It kind of splits the difference, between the original 1904 home and the addition in the 1950s.

And yes, a part of this post is that I want to show off my floor plan that is the result of so much help, from the many wonderful people on GW. But, I also thought I should say a 'thank you' to all those here, who told me "Don't lose the dining room!" LOL Thanks, again :)

I should mention, the house faces southeast, the parking is off to the left side, and I love Summerfield's idea to open up the dining room to the kitchen, but still keep it a separate space.
{{gwi:1585859}}From Courtyard Garden album

Comments (7)

• la_koala
    12 years ago

Congrats for getting a plan you like!

I think I responded to your earlier thread, saying how much I love having my separate dining room.

And I fully believe in what you wrote: why not do what we really want? :-)

--Lee

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lee- Thank you for the response :)

I'm so glad you enjoy your dining room. The idea has really grown on me and for someone, who didn't think they wanted a separate dining room...suddenly, I'm really excited about the idea!

It may be a while, before we start the remodel, and we'll probably do it in stages, but it's great to finally have some direction. Now, we can make any repairs to the existing house, without worrying...will we be ripping this out, in six to eight months? We really need to replace the roof, on the 1950s addition (living room, hall bath and study). Since we know we're not adding on in that area, or anything upstairs/attic...I'm much more excited to start repairs!

• yborgal
    12 years ago

What a lovely floor plan. It seems you've thought of everything to make it function as an inviting home. Congratulations!

• columbusguy1
    12 years ago

Looks like a great plan, lavender, just one question:

A lot of people putting in a master suite would not want their bath to be shared, especially with what will be most likely the main entry to the house--if it were me, I'd close off the door to the mudroom. You'll avoid people coming in and washing their hands, and keep the sense of privacy and elegance. Doesn't look like such a long trip to the kitchen for hand-washing, or the bath next to the study for other business. :)

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Monablair- Thank you :)

Columbusguy- Actually, we made the master bath accessible, on purpose. It's usually my husband or myself that comes in through the mudroom, and I wanted a short cut into the bathroom, that doesn't involve walking over carpeting or rugs. We have horses (need I say more?)...so the shorter the trip through the house...the better :)

Also, when we do have parties/get togethers, I wanted two bathrooms for company, without people walking through our bedroom. I really hate that at other people's houses and it seems to happen, all the time. This way people can access the bathroom during the day, but at night, it's our own, private space. Plus, I admit...I'm excited about showing off the claw foot tub! LOL And, letting someone use it, again, without going through our 'private' space.

• Debbie Downer
    12 years ago

Good choice. One good thing about dining rooms - they are useful even when no dining is taking place - board games, projects, quiet space etc. I like dedicated spaces with walls and doors and I think imposing modern tastes for wide open cavernous spaces can be a mistake for an old house. If an old house has tall ceilings, tall windows, then these rooms are light and airy and not the least bit claustrophogic.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Kasha- Thank you. It is nice to have the extra space, especially when it's light and airy!

Well, I talked to my contractor today...and while we could probably do this plan, it's going to be 'a challenge' to get the addition to match up with the house...unless I want to rework a lot of roof lines.

So, I might be reworking a few things, but still hope to have a dining room/area, open to the kitchen, but separate, with its own personality. We have some good ideas and just have to see what will work best with the space. If we do decide to go with a smaller remodel...I really want to use this exterior 'inspiration' picture. It's such a cute cottage! {{gwi:1397301}}From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures