Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pictures of Your Homes Cont....

Posted by sage63 (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 3, 05 at 21:49

Let's continue the photos of your homes. I finally have some to post of my own. I hope to have more to add to my album soon!! I have enjoyed viewing all of your lovely homes and have looked forward to the day I could add mine to the post and then it was full. :( So....I'm starting a new thread to continue the fun and to get to add mine too!!

Still much work to do inside but most of the exterior is done but for landscaping (to come later) and maybe some window boxes. It was built sometime in the '20s and is what I'm calling "French Ecclectic" or "Storybook" or "Historical Revival" Maybe one of you can peg the style for me. It is pretty unique I think. It has clinker brick and weeping mortar. The front door is original to the house. We stripped and stained it. Tore off the ivy to expose the rock work and wonderful patina copper porch sconce. The door hardware is original except for the mail slot. (Someone had put a shiny brass one in there and we had to change that out quick!)

The trim was painted teal but we changed it to the plum brown & red combination to warm it up and hopefully make it more inviting. (The teal was a recessive, cool color.)

Anyway...Here's our home. Can't wait to actually LIVE in it!! (Maybe a month or so.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Adelaide

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pictures of Your Homes Cont....

Comes up as "you are not the owner of this site"

o

Waaaaaaaaa. Same here.

o

Hmmm.....I wonder why? I made it public right from the start. Let me know if this link still doesn't work. :( Sorry!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Trying Again.....Adelaide

o

Here are some backside shots of our house where we're doing the addition..... The album is just now getting put together, so bear with me. LOL

Here is a link that might be useful: Hope this works!!

o

Sage, I want that house. And I want it in miniature,too, so it would fit down in my orchard! That weeping mortar intrigues me. If I had to leave my schoolhouse, I would choose this house. Ha. How many rooms?
Vivian, the details on your house are great. What a project you have undertaken.

o

Beautiful house, Sage. I would describe the style as Tudor... maybe Storybook Tudor? Or Tudor Revival? Or Gothic Revival?

o

Sage - love your house! Especially like the door & doorway. I was thinking "storybook Tudor" as well - first thing that popped into my mind.

Vivian - your dog could be my Samantha's twin! Sam lived until she was 17 yrs old. Made me teary to see yours.

o

binsb, couldn't tell you ol' Jayne's age (pound puppy). We do know that she's up in years, and a tad on the rotund side,....LOL. Good dog. We've only had her about 5 years or so.

Schoolhouse, yes, it's a giant project! We were going to buy a new house because we needed more room, but we couldn't find anything that we wanted, so we figured we may as well add a couple of bathrooms, a laundry room, a pantry, a deck, and patio. There are some other things going on too like new windows (sash replacements). We don't really need more square footage, just to change the way we used some of the space.

o

Vivian - Whoa! You are gonna love that new addition! It is going so well well with the rest of your home and it sounds like you're getting a lot of nice features that will make life so much more enjoyable for you.

Schoolhouse, Binsb and Carol - Thanks for the comments. I would have said Eng. Tudor also but it doesn't have the cross gables of a tudor. When I researched it, the materials I found said that French homes had the roof line parallel with the face of the house without a cross gable and the English tudor almost always has a cross gable or two. But other than that the french style could have the half-timbers and leaded glass windows also. It isn't french provencial but more casual "cottage" ecclectic style as far as I can tell. I have the book "Storybook Homes" and while it isn't a full storybook home, it has many of those elements.

It has really neat arched doorways inside and hardwood floors throughout. We gutted the kitchen and bathrooms (except for one) because the kit. had a bad remuddle previously and our bathroom plumbing was worthless.

Still the charm and character shines through all of the painful remodeling process. Hope to be over it all soon and actually get to live in it instead of driving over and scraping peeling paint from my moulding all day. :-)

This is what I'm basing my primary style assesssmet on -

From Realtor.com: French Eclectic (1915 - 1940)

Identifying features:

* Tall, steeply pitched, hipped roof without dominant front-facing cross gable
* Eaves commonly flared outward at roof-wall junction
* Brick, stone, or stucco walls, sometimes with half-timbering

The French style displays great variety in form and detailing, but is united by the characteristic style of roof. Because they both share a common Medieval English tradition, both French Eclectic houses and Tudor Revivals use half-timbering with a variety of different wall materials, as well as roofs of flat tile, slate, stone or thatch. As a result, the two styles are often confused. To tell the difference, one only has to look for the telltale dominant front-facing cross gables; if it's missing, it's a French Eclectic.

At the end of World War I, American soldiers arrived back in the States and imparted to their homeland an appreciation for all things French. As a result, young artists, writers and architects soon began making pilgrimages to France. It wasn't long before both Normandy-style and French Provincial homes sprang up all over America.

Decades before then, French prototypes had served as models for several American architectural styles, notably Second Empire, Beaux Arts, and Chateauesque. All of these were based on grand French buildings, including Parisian palaces and the majestic chateaux of the Loire Valley.

As the French Revival styles caught on in the United States, it was the rural vernacular architecture of the French countryside that inspired much of American residential architecture. Some of these styles, which you see mainly in suburban neighborhoods built from the 1920s to the '40s, take the form of cozy and romantic cottages, while others look more like small castles.

o

...and here is your house's cousin for sale in the old world. It's a major fixer upper, but hey, who else could feel so at home on two different continents.

I really have loved looking at the photos of everyone's beautiful houses.

Here is a link that might be useful: Normandie

o

dogsandroses - that is uncanny! How in the world did you find that? Supposedly it was an award winning designed home in Tulsa OK and someone had it built over here in Arkansas. We have visited Tulsa and driven around the historical areas looking for it but haven't had a bit of luck and then you find a home from Europe that is so similar. Even the way I have designed placing dormers on the roof when we eventually expand into the attic is the same. Thank you for sharing this with me! :-)

o

sage- I can see why you wanted to share pictures of your house. It is incredible. I want one too:) Hopefully I will get to add pictures of my latest home before this thread fills up. It is an 1850 work in progress.

Foxy.

o

Sage,
Where in Arkansas are you at?
I just bought my old house in North Little Rock.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Old House

o

Love seeing everyone's homes!

Here's my cozy little house in RI, a 1920 Colonial. I guess it's a Dutch Colonial? I'm not even 100% sure! We're going to be taking up the carpet soon and getting the hardwoods beneath refinished.

Exterior in Winter

>

Inside, from Living Room

>

Garage/Porch/Yard in springtime

o

Great house Sage....but you know....I have to ask if perhaps you got this great style because the mason was soused when he did the work...hehe.

I can just see him up on the scaffolding working....and drinking....and working...and drinking....he probably never noticed that some of those bricks weren't exactly in line.

I think the style is really neat. Please post more details for us as you learn them.

Aubrey

o

Ha! Ha! Aubrey. I had to laugh at that. It is kind of like having our own personal climbing wall. I've had to tell the kids, "Don't even think about it." Although I've scaled it a little ways to reach some ivy I was trying to trim back!! Our sloped lot and walkout basement makes it look like a 3-story house from the back. It is high up there! I'll add more pics to the album when I can.

Can'tFindAHome - I'm in Ft. Smith. Hey, neighbor! I love your home. It reminds me of the neighborhood I lived in in Tulsa about 10 years ago. All Tudor type cottage homes. Congratulations!!

Butterfield - I just left a Dutch Colonial for this "bumpy" home!! Mine was only from 1970 though. Not nearly as pretty or the character of yours!

o

Sage, I just looked again at your house photos and I am drooling ... it's just fabulous.

o

Here's mine...

I was trying to paste a photo but could not so here is my website.

1810 Farm House with Federal and Victorian Style. 4 Staircases, 5 fireplaces, 5 porches. Located in Purcellville Virginia.

Here is a link that might be useful: locustgrovehouse

o

Sage...you house is reminding me of the house in Driving Miss Daisy, which I watched for the first time recently and drooled over.

Gorgeous!

o

Sage: That house is right out of a fairy tale! What a treasure! Is that "clinker" brick?

o

Thanks ya'll for the kind remarks about our "storybook" home! Yes, Joyce...it IS clinker brick (w/ weeping mortar). Good call on that. We've knicknamed it "The Bumpy House" because of all of the brick sticking out. I'll have to rent "Driving Miss Daisy" to see that house! :-)

o

"Weeping mortar" - love that descriptive name.

Sage, I may have another cousin of your house in my neighborhood. It's gray stone that looks like a castle. I plan to take some photos of houses near me when my son returns my camera.

My 1910 brick bungalow is not nearly so picturesque.

I love seeing photos of everyone's homes.

o

Wow! Would you believe I've actually been to Ft. Smith?Most memorable is that we stopped for lunch in some hole-in-the-wall & had some amazin' home cookin'!

Are there alot of homes in that "genre" in your area, Sage?

o

No, not really too many. It is a shame. Fort Smith really grew more at the turn of the century so there are some wonderful old victorian neighborhoods that were surely beautiful "in their day". Unfortunately most are in various stages of disrepair.

Now, in Tulsa, Oklahoma there are miles of beautiful neighborhoods full of homes built in the '20s-'30s. That was during their big oil boom. We just drove around and drooled over all of them. And they are mostly all in very good condition - having been kept up and/or restored along the way.

When we lived over there, we lived in a neighborhood much like Can'tFindAHome's that he just bought in Little Rock. I noticed that Oklahoma City has several neighborhoods like that also (tudor/cottage style homes). This era is just one that appeals to my DH and I. When we found this home it had so many of the same type of elements that we had in our old Tulsa home that it just "FELT" like HOME to us. It is the style/era we were meant to be in. Now....if the remodel will ever get finished so we CAN be there..... still waiting patiently.

o

We've remodeled extensively since our October move-in; these pics were taken during our final showing and inspection in September. We haven't really changed the exterior but the interior is entirely different. Will post new pics sometime soon.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics of my home

o

I always love company. The door is always open and the coffee pot is always on. Come and visit.

Note...I am neater in real life than in my picturetrail album. The house photos are in there, but so is my family, my hand knit socks, and other stuff. Please wade through.

My house, my slice of heaven, was built in 1842 and is doing much better than I, who was constructed considerably later.

Here is a link that might be useful: My house on the hill

o

Mamaluna, I've been to this house before (on this forum, I mean)! This time I got to walk through it a little more, via the slideshow. The rooms are nice and big. Thanks for the tour.

o

Mamaluna, I am in love! With your home! How lucky it is to have someone who will love and care for it. It is beautiful!

o

Don,

Your website is great!! The history, sketches, ect are a wonderful way to have the history of your house all in one place. The house is lovely.

My house is about the same age as yours 1806.. stone Georgian in PA with a spring house similar to yours including the fireplace. There are wooden racks on the ceiling of our spring house for drying something??

The Springhouse extends about 15 feet into the hill, There is a vaulted ceiling inside of stone.

The Springhouse

href='http://photos2.flickr.com/1817927_51e815eb6a.jpg'

Here is a link that might be useful: Springhouse

o

I'm going to try posting pictures of our 1790 antique full Cape in MA. Never did this before, so here goes......

Here is a link that might be useful: our house

o

The dining room is my favorite.

o

Holly, that house looks just like the one I grew up in on the Cape. And you've done a beautiful job with it. The color of the woodwork in the living room is perfect. Very tasteful and appropriate choices you've made!

o

Love your cape!
Heres our 1890's- 1900
shot gun shack on cape.
sheshe

Here is a link that might be useful: House

o

Quit teasing, sheshe! (I am forbidden to view the site)

o

I can't view it either.

o

Sorry, I can't make it work. I give up with ofoto.
sheshe

o

Holly, your home is just beautiful! I agree, the colors and decor are just right for this lovely Cape.

o

This may work. Those are shovels next to door was expecting big snow storm. Would like to get rid of the ugly vinyl siding and soo much more to be done. sheshe

o

Is this the back or the front of the house? Reminds me of the houses in my neighborhood where I grew up. Any clue as to what is under the vinyl? I like the two narrow windows on the second floor.

o

I believe this was the front of the house originally.
There are cedar shingles painted green under the vinyl.
We have no idea yet what condition the shingles are in.
sheshe

o

My old house 1925, still trying to figure out exactly what style it is.

o

Wow great pics,keep them coming. Maybe you gys can tell me what the heck style my house is....I've heard this style refered to as "bungalo on steroids" but am sure there's another name??? There are lots of these here in Chicago, I'm in a mid town neighborhood. It was built in 1903 by a Charles Hall who lived here with his family as well.I am going to get it re-stuccoed in another color this year---maybe you can help pick a color.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

o

Here is a picture of our 1850's stone farmhouse. The back part is newer, about 1900. We raised the dormers over the windows and glassed in the backporch using selvaged storm windows that we bought at a garage sale. We have been here 24 years and are the third family to own the farm.

o

I love looking at everyone's old homes! Here is a picture of my home in Central Illinois. It doesn't have any particular style like so many of you have, but I like it. It was moved here from a closed coal mine around 1920. It was among several homes that housed families of coal miner supervisor's, that lived at the mines. If you go down our road you can find several of these homes. This was taken last summer during a front porch remodel, with my DD and DS on the porch. We had just cut down a pine tree that was too close, it made the porch look so much better after we got rid of it. Now I just need to figure out what to do about landscaping!

Sorry the picture is so big, when I paste the link it makes it giant and I don't know how to fix it.

o
Ooops!

Never mind, it's normal size now now. LOL

o

ButterflyTattoo,

I like your house, it reminds me of my house in a certain way. I posted my 1945 house before but the posting is much way back so I will post it here again.

o

I love seeing all your beautiful old homes. I have posted this once before but just can't resist joining in again. This is our old place.

o

SunRochy - I agree our houses are a lot alike, except I have a higher foundation and yours gets wider in the back (wish mine did!). What kind of bushes do you have in the front of your house? I have to do some kind of landscaping now that our porch is finished and I'm always on the lookout for ideas!

o

Here is my house built in 1904. This is early enough to be almost pre-Craftsman. Inside it is almost more Victorian: ornate trim/moulding and fillagreed plaster around the edges of the 9-foot ceiling in the living room and entry-way.

The pictures above show the original leaded glass above the front picture window which was a plain square pattern in need of repair. We replaced it with a more colorful one.

BTW, the answer to the question, "What do you call an Arts-n-Crafts style house that is too tall to be a bungalow?" is "Bungaloid."

o

Here's a picture of mine, again.

o

I don't know exactly what year it was built, but here is our old house in Illinois. I just started coming to this forum and I love it---people who get it!

o

Mush love your house ,looks like an idyillic stting. Is that stucco? And Sharon that is what I want when I move ..a big stone house.

o

OT--I hate to be ignorant about this, but would anyone here be so kind as to share with me how to insert a picture into a message without using links at the bottom of the message? Thanks!

o

Our house was built about 1940 (not sure, as original builder started it, but couldn't finish because he lost everything from the Depession.) Kids in the neighborhood roller skated in the attic for quite some time before the house was finally finished.
I have been told this is a Normandy, but others has said it is a Tudor. Your thoughts?

o

We have a nice colonial, built in 1920, that was the home of Frances Gershwin Godowsky, the sister of George and Ira Gershwin. Our next-door neighbors had a conversation with an elderly woman who grew up in their house, next to ours. She said that in the early 30s when the Godowskys lived in our place, George and Ira would visit, and play for guests. Her mother sent her over to listen at the windows, telling her that listening to the Gershwin brothers would be a rare opportunity that she'd never forget.

It's fun to think that our walls once rang with the music of George and Ira Gershwin in personal performances.

Here is a link that might be useful: Our House

o

Here is my 1925 Spanish Revival. Even at 2,600 square feet, it's really a bungalow at heart. The living room is 15' x 40' and crosses the front of the house, with 4 sets of french doors to the terrace. Behind that on one side is the dining room, breakfast room/butler's pantry, kitchen (with ca. 1956 Geneva metal cabinets) and mud room. Down the other side are two bedrooms, full bath and rear sleeping porch (now an office). There is a half bath (later addition) in the hall. The PO immediately before us did a great job bringing the house back from shag purgatory -- we hope to be able to put on the finishing touches.

The house cost $8,000 to build, which in 1925 was a tidy sum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Spanish Revival

o

Here is my 1910 brick bungalow-esque home that I bought about 8 years ago. I had the kitchen and bath remodeled before I moved in - nothing drastic, new counter-top, floor, oven, sink, in the kitchen and new toilet, tile floor, and pedestal sink in the one and only bathroom. Of course, as remodels go, I ended up replacing ALL the plumbing and a lot of the wiring before it was all over with.

I have great oak floors, 9 ft. ceilings, a nice sized front porch, the original brick garage, and a solid, secure home that allows me to sleep through the hurricanes we get here in North Carolina. This house has seen a lot and isn't goin' anywhere!

Now, I'm working on the yard, trying to keep the jungle at bay. I only have a small Japanese Maple and a dwarf spruce ('Fat Albert') for trees, but have lots of neighbors' trees that hang over my property and must be hacked back regularly.

Would love to paint inside and redo the iron work at the front door. Would also like a real screened door at the front or maybe replace the front door with a door with glass lights - which might have been there originally.

I really enjoy looking at your old houses and reading about your works-in-progress!

Teresa

Here is a photo I took today:

o

We have some bizarre craftsman bungalow hybrid that was changed before we owned it! We found out during interior renovations that the porch is new, and that the entrance was on the right of the porch. The door is still in the wall. So is the front window!

Before and after:

Here is a link that might be useful: Ward 81 and The Electric Garden

o

Teresa-
Hey, I am in NC too (western but grew up in Greensboro)!

Girlgroupgirl-
I like the ceiling. Where did you get the reed stuff?

o

Sunrochy, the reed matting (came in huge rolls) came from Oceanic Arts in California. There are now other places that sell similar material, surf the internet for South Seas decor etc. You get far more resources than searching for reeding, bamboo or tiki...If you want to piece together a small section of ceiling you can use reed excercise mats from the $$ store.

GGG

o

GGG-
Thank you! I am considering it for the basement ceiling. The ceiling is uncovered with old insulation sheets exposed..ugly. Right now I am covering the ceiling in the area that will be used as a "family room" with loose fabric until the wiring is redone later. Then I can use a longer term flat covering. I wanted something different than dropped ceiling panels.

o

I would not use this on wiring, unless you pay to have it sprayed with flame retardent spray. Also, the entire ceiling treatment is stapled on to keep it up there and flat. Any humidity makes it sag. Trust me, I'm in a hot and humid area!
If you can staple between floorboards and your wiring is VERY safe and totally covered with fresh rubber (new wiring,) then I'd say it's OK. If not, I'd say wait to put something up until you can get the wiring re-done. I wouldn't recommend fabric either unless it has fire retardent. Want to keep you safe!
I'd just save all my pennies and get that wiring done, not worry about how ugly things are for now, it's a pain, I know. I've been living here for 7 years and we've only got the livingroom/record room and bathroom reno-ed and decorating...we had to use the $$ first for updating electrical, plumbing etc...

GGG

o

GGG-
Ok, thank you for your advice!

o

GGG-
Just curious...did you name your cat Boo Boo Kitty because of the movie Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back or is it just a coincidence? I won't elaborate on a public board because I'm sure there are codes of conduct for strong language. :-)

o

Was there a previous thread on pictures of our homes? I've been looking for it, but it seems to have dropped off. I remember the rock planting beds of one home owner and wanted to view that pic again, but can't find it. :o(

o

Peel, Boo Boo Kitty is from Laverne & Shirley

GGG

o

Finally got the website up:

www.our-craftsman-home-restoration.com

o

Love this thread!
JoJo - I'd say that your home is of the Normandy style. And Paulines, I really like the clean lines of your home.

Ours was built in 1908 and is a typical Georgian 4 sq. Built by a husband as a wedding present for his new bride. A friend built the home for them and I have been told that he put all of the stained glass in as a wedding present for the couple. It has 11 stained glass windows original to the home and leaded glass french entry doors.

This year we will begin our restorations/ renovations on it and will sell it in 3-4 years to move into a tiny stone cottage outside of town.

Here is a link that might be useful: 1908 Four Square

o

Here's a shot from this spring of my 736 square feet of heaven (notwithstanding the construction debris in the yard):

and the view from the South side:

o

Here is a photo of my 1894 Queen Anne cottage

Here is a link that might be useful: my house

o

Mfrog:

Absolutely love your cottage. How big is it and what's the size of your garden? I'm in Nova Scotia and really envy the amount of months you can spend in your garden

Anicee

o

Our farmhouse was built in 1880 and is in Boston. We just bought it in January, and love it. This picture is from June, before the flowers really bloomed... We have a 1/4 acre total, which is pretty substantial for our area!

o

Sallyat
That is a real pretty house!

o

hi all! just found this place and i'll be here a LOT i can tell, here's mine....

this is a shot of our house, can't get a good angle til i go over to the neighbors across the street and it's a little early to wake up his dogs....

any ideas a style? it's 1937 with a lot of craftsman/arts and crafts interior woodwork but the outside i'm not sure of if it's a style at all? 2100 sq ft with an unfinished attic.

just got the GC to give us a quote on new windows - those storms have GOT to GO!

Friz

o

Here is our house. The real estate info said it was built in 1930 but I researched at Town Hall and it says it was built in 1941. I could see the home next door was already there as well and it says it was built in 1941 so this must be right. It's a Colonial or Georgian, I guess.

P.S. It was decorated for Halloween so that is fake spider web in the trees.

house

o

sage,

I can't believe this. Is Adelaide the name of the street your house is on?? My sister lives on Adelaide in fort smith! Her last name is Burford. crazy small world, huh? How long have youlived there? I LOVE your house. I lived in fort smith in '76-'78. Have you always been in fort smith? I visit occasionally and there are a bunch of old houses there for really reasonable prices!
Let me know!

Mary

o

I love your house!!!Looks like a country French "Storybook" cottage to me. The front door handle has the tell-tell sign of the "Fleur-de-lis" which strongly suggest a French influence. Along with all the other. Beautiful!!! I can see Snow White stepping out of the front door any minute!

o

Our house

Here's our 1910 Craftsman house. We moved in almost 21 years ago.

o

Our house in Newnan, Georgia was built in 1910. We bought it nine years ago. Previous owners had divided the house into apartments, and the original 12 foot ceilings had been lowered to 8 feet. We have made quite a few changes, but there is always more to do! The photograph was made in January 2008---almost a year ago---I wonder if it will snow again this January? We do not get much of the white stuff!

Here is a link that might be useful: ImageHost.org

o

This is the house where my Father grew up, and where my Mom now lives.

Grandma and Grandpa bought it in 1943, Mom and Dad bought it from their estate in 1999.

The first picture was taken right after WW II.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

This picture was taken in the late 1980s.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

It's a very formal Queen Anne built in 1903. The woodwork is clear American Chestnut and has never been painted in the front part of the house.

It even has an escalator that Grandpa put in in the 1950s in the kitchen stairs when my Great Grandmothers lived with them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here