Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sage63_gw

Pictures of Your Homes Cont....

sage63
19 years ago

Let's continue the photos of your homes. I finally have some to post of my own. I hope to have more to add to my album soon!! I have enjoyed viewing all of your lovely homes and have looked forward to the day I could add mine to the post and then it was full. :( So....I'm starting a new thread to continue the fun and to get to add mine too!!

Still much work to do inside but most of the exterior is done but for landscaping (to come later) and maybe some window boxes. It was built sometime in the '20s and is what I'm calling "French Ecclectic" or "Storybook" or "Historical Revival" Maybe one of you can peg the style for me. It is pretty unique I think. It has clinker brick and weeping mortar. The front door is original to the house. We stripped and stained it. Tore off the ivy to expose the rock work and wonderful patina copper porch sconce. The door hardware is original except for the mail slot. (Someone had put a shiny brass one in there and we had to change that out quick!)

The trim was painted teal but we changed it to the plum brown & red combination to warm it up and hopefully make it more inviting. (The teal was a recessive, cool color.)

Anyway...Here's our home. Can't wait to actually LIVE in it!! (Maybe a month or so.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Adelaide

Comments (80)

• schoolhouse_gw
    19 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

The dining room is my favorite.

• cynthia_gw
    19 years ago

Holly, that house looks just like the one I grew up in on the Cape. And you've done a beautiful job with it. The color of the woodwork in the living room is perfect. Very tasteful and appropriate choices you've made!

• sheshe
    19 years ago

Love your cape!
    Heres our 1890's- 1900
    shot gun shack on cape.
    sheshe

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1998161}}

• schoolhouse_gw
    19 years ago

Quit teasing, sheshe! (I am forbidden to view the site)

• holly2305
    19 years ago

I can't view it either.

• sheshe
    19 years ago

Sorry, I can't make it work. I give up with ofoto.
    sheshe

• teresa_nc7
    19 years ago

Holly, your home is just beautiful! I agree, the colors and decor are just right for this lovely Cape.

• schoolhouse_gw
    19 years ago

Is this the back or the front of the house? Reminds me of the houses in my neighborhood where I grew up. Any clue as to what is under the vinyl? I like the two narrow windows on the second floor.

• sheshe
    19 years ago

I believe this was the front of the house originally.
    There are cedar shingles painted green under the vinyl.
    We have no idea yet what condition the shingles are in.
    sheshe

• OldHomeGuy
    19 years ago

My old house 1925, still trying to figure out exactly what style it is.

• wangshan
    19 years ago

Wow great pics,keep them coming. Maybe you gys can tell me what the heck style my house is....I've heard this style refered to as "bungalo on steroids" but am sure there's another name??? There are lots of these here in Chicago, I'm in a mid town neighborhood. It was built in 1903 by a Charles Hall who lived here with his family as well.I am going to get it re-stuccoed in another color this year---maybe you can help pick a color.
    {{gwi:1998170}}

• sharon_sd
    19 years ago

Here is a picture of our 1850's stone farmhouse. The back part is newer, about 1900. We raised the dormers over the windows and glassed in the backporch using selvaged storm windows that we bought at a garage sale. We have been here 24 years and are the third family to own the farm.

{{gwi:1998171}}

• ButterflyTattoo
    19 years ago

I love looking at everyone's old homes! Here is a picture of my home in Central Illinois. It doesn't have any particular style like so many of you have, but I like it. It was moved here from a closed coal mine around 1920. It was among several homes that housed families of coal miner supervisor's, that lived at the mines. If you go down our road you can find several of these homes. This was taken last summer during a front porch remodel, with my DD and DS on the porch. We had just cut down a pine tree that was too close, it made the porch look so much better after we got rid of it. Now I just need to figure out what to do about landscaping!

Sorry the picture is so big, when I paste the link it makes it giant and I don't know how to fix it.

{{gwi:1998172}}

• ButterflyTattoo
    19 years ago

Never mind, it's normal size now now. LOL

• sunrochy
    19 years ago

ButterflyTattoo,

I like your house, it reminds me of my house in a certain way. I posted my 1945 house before but the posting is much way back so I will post it here again.

• Marcia Thornley
    19 years ago

I love seeing all your beautiful old homes. I have posted this once before but just can't resist joining in again. This is our old place.

• ButterflyTattoo
    19 years ago

SunRochy - I agree our houses are a lot alike, except I have a higher foundation and yours gets wider in the back (wish mine did!). What kind of bushes do you have in the front of your house? I have to do some kind of landscaping now that our porch is finished and I'm always on the lookout for ideas!

• mhudson
    19 years ago

Here is my house built in 1904. This is early enough to be almost pre-Craftsman. Inside it is almost more Victorian: ornate trim/moulding and fillagreed plaster around the edges of the 9-foot ceiling in the living room and entry-way.

{{gwi:1998175}}{{gwi:1998176}}

The pictures above show the original leaded glass above the front picture window which was a plain square pattern in need of repair. We replaced it with a more colorful one.

{{gwi:1998177}}

BTW, the answer to the question, "What do you call an Arts-n-Crafts style house that is too tall to be a bungalow?" is "Bungaloid."

• paulines
    19 years ago

Here's a picture of mine, again.

{{gwi:1998178}}

• joyce_zone5
    19 years ago

I don't know exactly what year it was built, but here is our old house in Illinois. I just started coming to this forum and I love it---people who get it!

• wangshan
    19 years ago

Mush love your house ,looks like an idyillic stting. Is that stucco? And Sharon that is what I want when I move ..a big stone house.

• tresbebes
    19 years ago

OT--I hate to be ignorant about this, but would anyone here be so kind as to share with me how to insert a picture into a message without using links at the bottom of the message? Thanks!

• JoJo_Ohio
    18 years ago

{{gwi:1998180}}

Our house was built about 1940 (not sure, as original builder started it, but couldn't finish because he lost everything from the Depession.) Kids in the neighborhood roller skated in the attic for quite some time before the house was finally finished.
    I have been told this is a Normandy, but others has said it is a Tudor. Your thoughts?

• vjrnts
    18 years ago

We have a nice colonial, built in 1920, that was the home of Frances Gershwin Godowsky, the sister of George and Ira Gershwin. Our next-door neighbors had a conversation with an elderly woman who grew up in their house, next to ours. She said that in the early 30s when the Godowskys lived in our place, George and Ira would visit, and play for guests. Her mother sent her over to listen at the windows, telling her that listening to the Gershwin brothers would be a rare opportunity that she'd never forget.

It's fun to think that our walls once rang with the music of George and Ira Gershwin in personal performances.

Here is a link that might be useful: Our House

• jakabedy
    18 years ago

Here is my 1925 Spanish Revival. Even at 2,600 square feet, it's really a bungalow at heart. The living room is 15' x 40' and crosses the front of the house, with 4 sets of french doors to the terrace. Behind that on one side is the dining room, breakfast room/butler's pantry, kitchen (with ca. 1956 Geneva metal cabinets) and mud room. Down the other side are two bedrooms, full bath and rear sleeping porch (now an office). There is a half bath (later addition) in the hall. The PO immediately before us did a great job bringing the house back from shag purgatory -- we hope to be able to put on the finishing touches.

The house cost $8,000 to build, which in 1925 was a tidy sum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Spanish Revival

• teresa_nc7
    18 years ago

Here is my 1910 brick bungalow-esque home that I bought about 8 years ago. I had the kitchen and bath remodeled before I moved in - nothing drastic, new counter-top, floor, oven, sink, in the kitchen and new toilet, tile floor, and pedestal sink in the one and only bathroom. Of course, as remodels go, I ended up replacing ALL the plumbing and a lot of the wiring before it was all over with.

I have great oak floors, 9 ft. ceilings, a nice sized front porch, the original brick garage, and a solid, secure home that allows me to sleep through the hurricanes we get here in North Carolina. This house has seen a lot and isn't goin' anywhere!

Now, I'm working on the yard, trying to keep the jungle at bay. I only have a small Japanese Maple and a dwarf spruce ('Fat Albert') for trees, but have lots of neighbors' trees that hang over my property and must be hacked back regularly.

Would love to paint inside and redo the iron work at the front door. Would also like a real screened door at the front or maybe replace the front door with a door with glass lights - which might have been there originally.

I really enjoy looking at your old houses and reading about your works-in-progress!

Teresa

Here is a photo I took today:

• girlgroupgirl
    18 years ago

We have some bizarre craftsman bungalow hybrid that was changed before we owned it! We found out during interior renovations that the porch is new, and that the entrance was on the right of the porch. The door is still in the wall. So is the front window!

Before and after:

Here is a link that might be useful: Ward 81 and The Electric Garden

• sunrochy
    18 years ago

Teresa-
    Hey, I am in NC too (western but grew up in Greensboro)!

Girlgroupgirl-
    I like the ceiling. Where did you get the reed stuff?

• girlgroupgirl
    18 years ago

Sunrochy, the reed matting (came in huge rolls) came from Oceanic Arts in California. There are now other places that sell similar material, surf the internet for South Seas decor etc. You get far more resources than searching for reeding, bamboo or tiki...If you want to piece together a small section of ceiling you can use reed excercise mats from the $$ store.

GGG

• sunrochy
    18 years ago

GGG-
    Thank you! I am considering it for the basement ceiling. The ceiling is uncovered with old insulation sheets exposed..ugly. Right now I am covering the ceiling in the area that will be used as a "family room" with loose fabric until the wiring is redone later. Then I can use a longer term flat covering. I wanted something different than dropped ceiling panels.

• girlgroupgirl
    18 years ago

I would not use this on wiring, unless you pay to have it sprayed with flame retardent spray. Also, the entire ceiling treatment is stapled on to keep it up there and flat. Any humidity makes it sag. Trust me, I'm in a hot and humid area!
    If you can staple between floorboards and your wiring is VERY safe and totally covered with fresh rubber (new wiring,) then I'd say it's OK. If not, I'd say wait to put something up until you can get the wiring re-done. I wouldn't recommend fabric either unless it has fire retardent. Want to keep you safe!
    I'd just save all my pennies and get that wiring done, not worry about how ugly things are for now, it's a pain, I know. I've been living here for 7 years and we've only got the livingroom/record room and bathroom reno-ed and decorating...we had to use the $$ first for updating electrical, plumbing etc...

GGG

• sunrochy
    18 years ago

GGG-
    Ok, thank you for your advice!

• peel
    18 years ago

GGG-
    Just curious...did you name your cat Boo Boo Kitty because of the movie Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back or is it just a coincidence? I won't elaborate on a public board because I'm sure there are codes of conduct for strong language. :-)

• teresa_nc7
    18 years ago

Was there a previous thread on pictures of our homes? I've been looking for it, but it seems to have dropped off. I remember the rock planting beds of one home owner and wanted to view that pic again, but can't find it. :o(

• girlgroupgirl
    18 years ago

Peel, Boo Boo Kitty is from Laverne & Shirley

GGG

• GaleForce
    18 years ago

Finally got the website up:

www.our-craftsman-home-restoration.com

• ttodd
    18 years ago

Love this thread!
    JoJo - I'd say that your home is of the Normandy style. And Paulines, I really like the clean lines of your home.

Ours was built in 1908 and is a typical Georgian 4 sq. Built by a husband as a wedding present for his new bride. A friend built the home for them and I have been told that he put all of the stained glass in as a wedding present for the couple. It has 11 stained glass windows original to the home and leaded glass french entry doors.

This year we will begin our restorations/ renovations on it and will sell it in 3-4 years to move into a tiny stone cottage outside of town.

Here is a link that might be useful: 1908 Four Square

• dcdame
    18 years ago

Here's a shot from this spring of my 736 square feet of heaven (notwithstanding the construction debris in the yard):

and the view from the South side:

• mfrog
    18 years ago

Here is a photo of my 1894 Queen Anne cottage

Here is a link that might be useful:

• anicee
    18 years ago

Mfrog:

Absolutely love your cottage. How big is it and what's the size of your garden? I'm in Nova Scotia and really envy the amount of months you can spend in your garden

Anicee

• sallyat
    18 years ago

Our farmhouse was built in 1880 and is in Boston. We just bought it in January, and love it. This picture is from June, before the flowers really bloomed... We have a 1/4 acre total, which is pretty substantial for our area!

• sunrochy
    18 years ago

Sallyat
    That is a real pretty house!

• Frizzle
    18 years ago

hi all! just found this place and i'll be here a LOT i can tell, here's mine....

{{gwi:1998185}}

{{gwi:1998186}}

this is a shot of our house, can't get a good angle til i go over to the neighbors across the street and it's a little early to wake up his dogs....

any ideas a style? it's 1937 with a lot of craftsman/arts and crafts interior woodwork but the outside i'm not sure of if it's a style at all? 2100 sq ft with an unfinished attic.

just got the GC to give us a quote on new windows - those storms have GOT to GO!

Friz

• southern_2008
    15 years ago

Here is our house. The real estate info said it was built in 1930 but I researched at Town Hall and it says it was built in 1941. I could see the home next door was already there as well and it says it was built in 1941 so this must be right. It's a Colonial or Georgian, I guess.

P.S. It was decorated for Halloween so that is fake spider web in the trees.

• happymary45
    15 years ago

sage,

I can't believe this. Is Adelaide the name of the street your house is on?? My sister lives on Adelaide in fort smith! Her last name is Burford. crazy small world, huh? How long have youlived there? I LOVE your house. I lived in fort smith in '76-'78. Have you always been in fort smith? I visit occasionally and there are a bunch of old houses there for really reasonable prices!
    Let me know!

Mary

• buddy1114
    15 years ago

I love your house!!!Looks like a country French "Storybook" cottage to me. The front door handle has the tell-tell sign of the "Fleur-de-lis" which strongly suggest a French influence. Along with all the other. Beautiful!!! I can see Snow White stepping out of the front door any minute!

• jcin_los_angeles
    15 years ago

{{gwi:1998188}}

Here's our 1910 Craftsman house. We moved in almost 21 years ago.

• 66and76
    15 years ago

Our house in Newnan, Georgia was built in 1910. We bought it nine years ago. Previous owners had divided the house into apartments, and the original 12 foot ceilings had been lowered to 8 feet. We have made quite a few changes, but there is always more to do! The photograph was made in January 2008---almost a year ago---I wonder if it will snow again this January? We do not get much of the white stuff!

Here is a link that might be useful: ImageHost.org

• kframe19
    15 years ago

This is the house where my Father grew up, and where my Mom now lives.

Grandma and Grandpa bought it in 1943, Mom and Dad bought it from their estate in 1999.

The first picture was taken right after WW II.

This picture was taken in the late 1980s.

It's a very formal Queen Anne built in 1903. The woodwork is clear American Chestnut and has never been painted in the front part of the house.

It even has an escalator that Grandpa put in in the 1950s in the kitchen stairs when my Great Grandmothers lived with them.