Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
keagan77

mixing white crown and stained oak baseboards and trim

keagan77
14 years ago

I have an old 1919 home with great 7 inch oak baseboards and door/window trim. However, I am starting to laminate the plaster ceilings with new drywall and I want to put up Crown. I like the look of white crown and I think wood will be too much wood in the house. Plus I hate to paint the wood in the home, I think it looks good, but in moderation. Anyone ever done this? Have any photos?

Thanks

Comments (8)

• alexia10
    14 years ago

In my old house I had several rooms with mixed trim. All of the trim was white but the window panels and the door panel were oak and it looked really good. I also had a room that everything was white except for the baseboard that was solid oak. We put that baseboard ourselves intending to paint it but it was so beautiful (and darn expensive) that we decided to keep it and it looked great. In the area I live there are a lot of older colonials and I see mixed trim very often.

• missy1980
    14 years ago

We have wood baseboard, trim & (crown molding in three of rooms)everything is stained. In the rooms with the crown mould, it would look inappropriate to put up painted crown mould. (Although I think painted trim is beautiful). Maybe start with one room the way you have envisioned it & see how you like it.

• schoolhouse_gw
    14 years ago

Not sure if this is what you wanted to see but I painted crown,baseboard,trim and one door white in my remodeled bedroom, leaving the entry door the orignal fruitwood (?) shellac (in other words,not painted);it opens into the hallway and part of the house that also has shellac or stained trim. I wasn't sure about how it would look, but I like it. Most people probably wouldn't.
    {{!gwi}}

{{gwi:598506}}

• antiquesilver
    14 years ago

I like it!

• colleenoz
    14 years ago

What schoolhouse said. To be honest, when I think what it would look like to have the crown moulding wood, it looks all weird in my head. Here white crown moulding and wood window trim and baseboards are very common in old houses. In my house the crown in one room is Wedgewood blue to match elements in the frieze while all the trim and baseboards are white to match other elements in the frieze. Everyone thinks it looks great. I don't think there's a law that says the crown has to match everything else :-)

• schoolhouse_gw
    14 years ago

I was reading the newspaper awhile ago and it suddenly occurred to me that maybe I should share what I did in my library room back in 1990. In this room the crown molding was stained as was the baseboard and trim (my dad insisted on staining the bookcase oak however(!)). I tried to take photos that would show the paint colors more clearly. Ceiling is yellow ochre as are the two end walls. Side walls in the room are a deep green. The wide border under the crown molding was one of those "got to have it" moments. It lowered the ceiling some, which wasn't my intention, it was just so beautiful I had to use it. ha.
    Anyway, just wanted to show that the crown was not painted the same color as the ceiling and turned out alright (to me).

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• bulldinkie
    14 years ago

My trim indining room is a country red,with tung oiled horizontal random width boards,beautiful.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz