Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
1906 Wallpaper discovered under paint layers

Posted by StoneHouseGuy (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 21, 14 at 21:45

We're in our new old house (circa 1906) since Thanksgiving and spent some time since Christmas (now and then) scraping the wallpaper off the music room.

From what I can tell there were 3 layers of paint on the original wallpaper in the room. The paper was pasted directly onto the raw plaster so I get to see the room as it was shortly after the house was built - that's exciting to me. Some lifted off dry in huge sheets the glue was so dried up. I also can see how the wood trim in the room was installed unfinished and then stained and finished in place since some of the stain overlapped onto the plaster.

I wondered if I could ever see what the original paper looked like. So I tried soaking a large sheet overnight in plain water. The next morning, to my surprise, I was able to lift off a fairly large segment of the paper from the sheet of paint - maybe I'm lucky it was all latex.

The paper is like craft paper - unfinished - and has a block or cylinder printed (more likely) white paisley-scroll-like design. Pretty exciting find!

Here is a link that might be useful: Stone Shack

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 1906 Wallpaper discovered under paint layers

Very interesting.

o

I see that all the time in my business. Did the original installer write his name and date on the wall? I have seen some interesting comments written under paper

o

Christophern, no such luck. There are 2 wall areas, about 4 x 10 feet, where the paper was already take off (which pose the biggest challenge for me to skim coat since they are covered over with sand paint, ugh) and anything written there is lost forever.

The most interesting thing found under the paper was on the backside of one edge I found the pattern number. No manufacturer name. With so many manufacturers of paper such as this around at the turn of the 20th century, and as indescript as the pattern is, I highly doubt I would ever find out who made it.

The funniest thing I found under the paper, written on the plaster was the addition notation: 37 1/2 + 4 = 41 1/2 ... I guess not everyone is a math whiz ...

o

I am no math wiz either but if I can add anything on 10 fingers, I don't have to write it down :-)

o

That's amazing. Fun find. I actually like the color and design.

o

I agree what a fun find!

o

It is a pretty paper! We had 7 layers of wall paper covered up with paint, then wall board, more wall paper and more paint. I was able to save a square foot of the original wall paper when I removed all the layers, but it is dulled and yellowed. I left it on the wall behind a stand-alone cupboard. It was once a very nice arts & crafts styled paper. It was fun to see all the different papers through out the life of the house. The most current paper looked to be from the 1940s.
Diane

o

What a pretty design! It's fun to find stuff like that. We uncovered at least six different patterns of wallpaper in our 138 y.o. home. I took photos, and occasionally browse through vintage wallpaper selections online to see if I find any of them.

o

Frame it and display it. I wish I would have taken a piece off when I was remodeling. It's back inside a wall now. One of several things I wish I would have done differently.

o

What fun! I framed pieces of wall paper found when I stripped and repaired walls.
Kathy

o

It's just beautiful!!!!

o

We found old wallpaper in our house as well when we were remodeling. The original house was built in 37. We pulled enough off to frame in a picture frame to save it. The wallpaper had a cloth backing and was actually nailed up with the cloth.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here