Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newtonian_gw

Proper way to install cellulose insulation

newtonian
18 years ago

Have an 1870's balloon framed house. Professional contractor is 2/3 done blowing insulation in. I'm concerned about how it's being done.

They drilled holes about 18" above the sill plate and 18" below the roof line. After dropping a rock into a few of the cavities to determine no blocking they blew first into the bottom and then into the top of each cavity. Insulation oozed out when the hose was removed before they plugged the hole.

It took about 120 seconds total time to fill each two story cavity.

I'd have assumed a hole in the middle (at the second floor joist band height) of each stud cavity would be necessary to assure a dense packing.

Are they doing it right?

Comments (8)

• kurtronix
    18 years ago

That sounds about right to me. When we did our baloon frame house this fall we started with the recommended 18" -24" above the sill and below the eve and then roughly 1 more hole for every 8 feet, so 3 holes per cavity. Once we got the hang of it we found we could drop it down to 2 holes and still achive the same ammount of fill in the wall (based on material in and time to fill).

The risk you take with a hole in the middle of the wall of a baloon frame is filling the ceiling of your first floor w/o noticing it (or so I am told).

If the contrator has been around for a while and had reputable references I think your fine. We did our house ourself but have already noticed a huge payback this winter.

YMMV...

• MongoCT
    18 years ago

They need to be dense-packing this insulation or it will eventually settle.

If cellulose is simply blown into place, as it is blown it gets fluffed up and has a low density. Over time it will eventually settle and become more dense. This is why when blowing cellulose into an open attic, if you want 12" of insulation, you blow in more so that it will settle to 12".

"Dense packing" means that the insulation is blown in to achieve an installed density of about 3.5 poinds of insulation per cubic foot. Since this density is higher than it's natural settling densty, the cellulose will not eventually settle in your wall cavities.

Dense-packing knits the fibers together. You get a great air barrier, great sound deadening capabilities, and with the exception of foam, one of the higher R-values out there.

Best way to tell if they're dense packing is to do a bag count as the insulation is being blown in. Calculate the rough volume of a stud bay and see how many stud bays are being filled per bag used. Use stud bay volume divided by bag weigh to see if you're getting the required 3.5 lb/ft^3 density.

If they are not dense-packing, they are not doing the job correctly, as it's guaranteed to settle and result in cold spots at the tops of your walls.

• tanama
    18 years ago

If you don't mind telling me, I'd love to know how much it costs to get something like that done professionally. I realize that it's going to vary by size of house and region, but I don't even have a basic ballpark idea about this type of work. Thanks!

• kurtronix
    18 years ago

Great follow-up mongoct. I did forget to mention that we calculated how many bags we needed based on the desired r-value and broke that down on a per cavity basis. That way we knew the right ammount was going in the wall each time.

• MongoCT
    18 years ago

Oops.

Regarding my earlier post, to make sure that you're getting 3.5 lb/ft^3 density, divide the WEIGHT of the insulation blown into each bay by the VOLUME of the bay. POUNDS per CUBIC FOOT.

In my previous post I wrote it backwards.

Mongo

• newtonian
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Wish I knew how many bags they used.... I do know it consistently took 120 seconds to fill a two story bay.

The cost was about $1.45 SF, and the blower door test was $55. They removed and replaced wooden siding around the house as needed, placed foam plugs in the 2" holes they made and replaced the siding with galvanized nails. Installation went rather quickly with a team of three.

They are scheduled to finish in two weeks...

• Fori
    18 years ago

Can this sort of thing be done from the inside of a house (if you don't mind me changing the subject a little bit)? I'd rather have holes in my interior than the exterior since I don't have siding (and the interior needs some plaster work anyway).

• sharon_sd
    18 years ago

We have a stone house and had cellulose blown in about 23 years ago. Yes, it can be done from the inside.