Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
condensation dripping off roofing nails

Posted by kimbuffalo (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 31, 10 at 20:38

We have condensation dripping off of the roof nails. The attic floor was recently insulated with blown in cellulose and a broken and very leaky window was replaced. I'm pretty sure this is the 1st winter we've had this problem. Is there an easy fix such as opening the window a crack or running a fan? The roof has several layers including the original cedar shingles and there are no roof vents. I assume no roofer would attempt to install vents until we do a complete tear off.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: condensation dripping off roofing nails

You do need to ventilate the attic. Opening the window will probably suffice for the rest of the winter (and beyond), especially if there are two windows that can provide cross ventilation. Most large hardware stores should have those horizontally adjustable inserts that fit under the lower window sash. The ones I'm thinking of have louvres and screens and are only about 6 to 8" tall. They're specifically designed to provide ventilation. You made need something more than this, like a fan, for the summer to keep the shingles from overheating.

o

Venting the attic will help but in the winter the attic air should be dry unless there is excessive moisture entering from roof leaks or rooms below. Check for leaks and make sure the exhaust fans are working and being used in the bathrooms.

o

make sure the exhaust fans are working and being used in the bathrooms. and not venting into the attic. Basic, you'd think.
You'd think wrong.

Photo: www.checkthishouse.com

o

Unfortunately, we do not have any exhaust fans in the bathrooms or kitchens. It is a 2 family house that needs ALOT of updating! The apartments are upper and lower, we live in the 1st floor and tenants live in the second floor. Should exhaust fans be our next project?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here