Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Insulating Basement Dillema Dillema!

Posted by naturalstuff (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 27, 10 at 20:30

Wow. Ready to sheetrock but my insulation decision is driving me nuts.

Dont insulate to let the walls air out & not worry about moldy insulation.

Insulate and keep basement warm and space above warmer.

Dont insulate and save some money.

Insulate and keep sound out.

Dont insulate because it's 3/4 underground anyway

Insulate ceilings only

Install faceless insulation in ceilings.

H E L P! My mind is racing. Cost not really an issue. Warmth not really an issue. Sound is very important.. Should I just do ceilings and use mold proof sheetrock on walls?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Insulating Basement Dillema Dillema!

I love no brainers!

You can insulate in any one of several acceptable ways and save money on heating, cut nasty drafts and reduce outside noise penetration.

For greatest noise reduction and since "cost [is] not really an issue," use cc spray foam on the walls and rim joist areas, followed by drywall. If sound reduction from noisy basement activities is your prime aim, insulation is a minor factor in reducing it. Hang a ceiling or two on resilient channel or use a sound attenuating wallboard, such as Quiet Rock and don't use recessed lighting of any sort.

Here is a link that might be useful: Basement Insulation

o

The only thing that works is sprayed closed-cell polyurethane foam insulation covered with mold-resistant drywall or cement backer board. It's expensive but difficult design problems always require more expensive materials. If you want simple solutions it is best to build above ground.

o

You have to make a decision on were the building envelope will be for heating and cooling.

If the basement contains plumbing lines it needs to be inside the envelope.

Putting insulation between areas inside the envelope has limited value.

o

"If the basement contains plumbing lines it needs to be inside the envelope. " That depends on your climate. This is essential in about 1/3 of the country, marginal in 1/3, and not necessary at all in the other 1/3.

o

OP is in the nutmeg state.

o

Last time i checked it freezes in CT.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here