Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transom windows with opening storms?

Posted by a_posse_ad_esse (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 22, 10 at 19:59

Hi,

I am designing a solarium for an old stone house and we want to install opening transoms w/ storms over the windows. Has anyone figured out a way to open the storm windows from the inside (without opening the transoms too) in order to let out condensation in the winter?

I am guessing there has to be some kind of hinge system that could work?

We are having the windows custom made so we could put in whatever hardware we want. Surely there is some way of doing this?

We also have to replace all the *new* windows in the stone house with period windows and are trying to figure out what wood to use. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transom windows with opening storms?

Use an outward-opening awning window (hinged at the top with a inside crank actuator) for the transom window, then install your storm pane on the inside. You'll be able to crank the awning window open from inside whenever you want, and no need to go outside to switch the storm for the screen, which I assume you will want.
I have seen period advertisements for an actuator for shutters that had a crank handle on the interior window frame, and would open and close shutters. Never seen one in real life.
A metal arm attached to the bottom of the exterior storm and running through a guide slot at the bottom of the fram, with a thumbscrew or catch to keep it open would be the home-shop remedy for your specific question. I just saw the awning windows as being the more efficient solution.
Casey

o

Thanks! Our carpenter is going to mock up a sample for us to play with.

o

i have storms and screens,theres 2 clips one on each side of window or screen.Thetyre framed out like the windows witbh about a 3"frame.

o

On mine theres the transom its about 1 ft deep,the screen is framed like a window,From the outside you put in place,pull clip down on inside 1 on each side of frame,in winter we remove screen frame put glass one in attatches same way.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here