Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lipply

My scullery kitchen is finished

lipply
11 years ago

I posted when we bought the 1915s house and uploaded pics of the kitchen that I couldn't figure out what the heck it was. You all educated me that I had a scullery! Well I took your advice and actually began to love it. So it is still here, we just updated it. Refinished the cabinets, redid the countertop and backsplash and changed the lighting. Thank you guys for your help, we love it now! Going to try to upload photos. This house is a bungalow and it is in Buffalo NY. First ones are before.

Comments (14)

• lipply
    Original Author
    11 years ago

this is an after view.

• schoolhouse_gw
    11 years ago

LOVE it. Looks beautiful.

• liriodendron
    11 years ago

Don't forget to post on the Kitchens forum, too. They will love to see your scullery. It looks fantastic! Love the tile work.

L.

• worthy
    11 years ago

Very nice job!

However, in an era of modern sanitation and a paucity of scullery maids, the whole idea baffles me.

The closest to a modern version I've seen was a 6,000 sf home with two complete kitchens side by side. At first, I thought kashrut; but the original owners were Chinese.

• columbusguy1
    11 years ago

A scullery is not a kitchen, it is an area where cleaning dishes was done--and perhaps some prep of vegetables. It stored things useful for cleaning not only pots and dishes, but fabrics, floors and brasswork also.

The only possible need for a second kitchen MIGHT be for a truly kosher family with lots of money. :)

• jlc102482
    11 years ago

Hi, fellow Buffalonian! :) Your kitchen looks fabulous, you did a great job. Those cabinets are to die for, are they original to the house or are they salvaged?

• User
    11 years ago

Just beautiful !! What a tribute to your home. Can we see more pics of the rest of your home ???? Please :) c

• kimkitchy
    11 years ago

Oh, I LOVE it! You did a fantastic job. I'll join in the call for more pics of your bungalow, please!

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

If you don't like the idea of a scullery ... call it a "butler's pantry" and feel better.

• powermuffin
    11 years ago

My house was built in 1908. Sadly it has neither a butler's pantry nor a scullery. I would LOVE to have your scullery!!!! I can imagine having a space off of the beaten path of my kitchen where I can wash dishes, prep foods, play with my linens, etc. Heaven! You are so lucky and you've done a beautiful job on it!
    Diane

• jak1
    11 years ago

Beautiful! That's the kind of thing that makes one LOVE having an older home! Great job!

• 1935House
    11 years ago

Donna, I love your scullery! You did a beautiful job with it. The cabinets are to die for!

I would love to see a photo of the rest of your kitchen so that I can wrap my mind around how the scullery set up works.

• southerncanuck
    11 years ago

I just had a flashback. My Nona had the same kitchen in a kitchen in North Tonawanda, I bet you know where that is, thank you for sharing and great renovation. Congrats.

• southerncanuck
    11 years ago

Need to add, they called it the pantry, it was far too small to do dishes in, some of the dinner platters and pots were wider than the countertops and the sink was very small. Could never do much more than a few utensils in there.
    Thinking about it carefully now it was mainly used for storage of dry goods and food prep, " maison place(plaise)" for fancy speaking chefs. Man, my French is terrible. My US friends and relatives are always asking me to speak French, I don't speak French because I live a long way from France.