Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aunttomichael_gw

Thoughts on this kitchen and bath

aunttomichael
9 years ago

Hi,
I was active on Kitchens years ago. Fast forward to today: I am separated and looking to buy an apartment in the city. I like one very much, and the kitchen and bath are thankfully un-renovated. The pictures aren't great, but I wanted to get your thoughts. What would you keep/change? Any thoughts about what the stove it? I am getting ahead of myself but indulging my excitement. Thank you!

Comments (8)

• millworkman
    9 years ago

I don't know about the appliances but looking at that wall paper everyday would put me in an institution quickly........

• civ_IV_fan
    9 years ago

the stove under the window would drive me nuts. i would try to get the sink under the window if possible. i'm also thinking a countertop cooktop over some cabinets on the outside wall. do whatever is necessary to get a hood on the cooktop that vents outside.

on the other wall, a small 10-12 cf fridge would fit the space. maybe try to fit a built-in oven along with some new cabinets if you can find something narrow enough.

that floor tile looks cold and uncaring to me, i much prefer a softer natural linoleum or similar.

a few thoughts to chew on. good luck!

• weedyacres
    9 years ago

Why is the wall next to the stove bumped out (in?)? What's behind the wall?

You've got enough width to add cabinets along the outside wall and make it a galley kitchen.

A floorplan sketch and a few more photos would help. As would the Kitchens forum. :-)

The stove and sink, if in good condition, would be worth keeping to retain the vintage feel.

The uppers look pretty shallow. I'd replace them with deeper ones.

• chucksmom
    9 years ago

Well, my first thought is RIP IT ALL OUT!!! Then, immediately ship the stove and sink (and bathtub) to me! I'll send you my address!
    Seriously, it's so wonderful but could stand a bit of "tweaking".
    I'm thinking here... The sink would be wonderful under the window but I don't think it's wide enough and since I don't know what's behind that "bump out"......and is this the entire room? What's at the "bottom" of the picture? I could see moving the stove and making a little eat-in area in front of the window. Of course, not knowing the other side of the room.... And, unless you cook alot (I don't), a stove without a hood is do-able, mine just has a fan that doesn't vent outside and is just fine.
    Still thinking....

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

I like it! Ya know, if the cabinets are in good shape, I would just redecorate. Yeah, that wallpaper is making my eyes cross. So change the wall coverings. Leave the stove where it is. It looks quite charming there. How wide is the room? I think that uppers on that side would make the kitchen seem too narrow. Maybe just lower cabinets on that wall. Or a nice long, narrow work table? I could actually see either a wood work table or a stainless one there.

Cute! What fun. Of course, if you intend to do more extensive remodeling, you should share a floorplan with measurements.

• OldBarnDreams
    9 years ago

You've got a beautiful vintage sink and stove that I would leave right where they are. One reason is cost, since doing so would save you the cost of rerouting water pipes as well as the gas lines to the stove, which could be really expensive in an apartment setting. Also, I think the stove looks charming in front of the window, and fits perfectly in the space allotted. I would redecorate the walls with paint or tile (subway tile would look good), and perhaps install a period linoleum floor. You could also add cabinets to the wall adjacent to the stove, as well as the long wall across from the sink; alternatively you could find a salvage storage piece that would fit that space as well. Good luck with your improvements - you have a great space!

• aunttomichael
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, everyone. I thought I lost the apartment but I may end up getting it after all. I will keep you posted. I really appreciate the comments.

• User
    9 years ago

While you're waiting to see what happens next, do spend a lot of time at the Retro Renovation site. There are so many kitchens there you will surely find one that strikes your fancy.

Don't be too hasty with the wall paper unless it's really dirty.

Here is a link that might be useful: retrorenovation blog