Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
countryfarm304

Introduction and quick question

countryfarm304
11 years ago

Hello! I stumbled upon this forum and absolutely love it. My name is Ann and my home is a young gal built in 1856.We livlive in the heart of Amish country in Lancaster Pa.While our home was suppose to be temporary, I have fallen in love and couldn't dream of living elsewhere (I honestly hated this old house when we first moved in!). It has in true form to the homes in the area been added on and on....ok I'm sure you get the idea.we have an attached summer kitchen but is accessible by going through the sunporch. There are many quirks and oddities that we have grown to love.
My question is how do I find what paint colors were of the time period of my house? We have lived here starting our sixth year and have slowly worked on things such as the wiring. the living room is like being in a snowstorm EVERYTHING is white including the woodwork and mantel! any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Comments (7)

• mike_kaiser_gw
    11 years ago

You might check with your local historic society. I've seen on shows like This Old House where they removed some of the paint and analyzed the colors in each layer. I wouldn't know where to tell you to find such a service but I would imagine Google could help.

That or just paint the house in whatever colors appeal to you.

• columbusguy1
    11 years ago

Many paint companies have historic palettes these days--I have used Sherwin-Williams' quite successfully for both interior and exterior painting.

Roger Moss' Victorian Interior Decoration is a godsend for owners of 19th Century houses; the book is broken down by decades and advises and illustrates everything from paint colors/methods to window screens!

Here is a link that might be useful: Victorian Interior Decoration

• countryfarm304
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the help, I at least have a starting point. there is a Benjamin Moore and Sherwin Williams not far. I know I have layers of wallpaper in the dining room and one bedroom, excited but a little fearful.

• jlc102482
    11 years ago

Welcome, Ann! Are you looking for interior or exterior color ideas? For interior, I enthusiastically second Columbus' book suggestion - you won't find a better book on the topic. If you're looking for exterior ideas, then I suggest these books, as they have been helpful to me:

"Victorian Exterior Decoration: How to Paint Your Nineteenth-Century American House Historically" (same authors as the aforementioned book)

"America's Painted Ladies" (just photos, but great for exterior color scheme ideas)

"How to Create Your Own Painted Lady" (helpful for figuring out the logistics)

It's funny, I have an 1857 home and I too am beginning to work on redoing the paint for historical accuracy, both inside and out. Let me know what you come up with, and I'll do the same!

• countryfarm304
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have found the book on Amazon and it is ordered, thanks for that info! My farmhouse was built by Mennonites so things are very basic. The wallpaper in my dining room now I really like but want to paint with a color very close to it. There is chair rail all around the room and they papered it the same below that.(the top layer of paper is peeling off and there are two other patterns under that and then a layer of periwinkle paint!) I have a beautiful built in corner hutch that was painted white over top of a finished wood I just recently dis covered. I want to slowly figure out how to remove the paint without removing the finished wood under it.

One thing I really wish I had was a pantry...I have a cold or root cellar that I haven't ventured into but one time. The window only has bars on it and is open to the outside and I need to research why. Things would surely freeze. Just past that little arched room is where the original hand dug cistern well is but has since been filled in with stone. Lots of bigger projects to do but definitely want to get rid of all the white, I feel like I'm in a sterile hospital room lol.

• nan-nan
    11 years ago

I grew up in Canadian Mennonite country and around here (Waterloo) the Mennonites were known for using whatever was on hand to paint with - I guess maybe having a flair for decor was "worldly" and the exterior of their homes here can be a bit garish (depending on the paint they happened to find at the time) but their gardens are a beautiful riot of colour. :) So, you probably can feel free to go with whatever suits your fancy!

• countryfarm304
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'll try and post pictures, the outside brick is white, no trim lol. it was just painted last summer, the porch is gray but needs a new coat....that's for the spring. the shutters are a deeper red and I wish they had painted the star bolts red to highlight them, one of my favorite features on the outside. Nan- Nan they must have had pretty basic colors you are correct. I don't want to be way out of character with the paint, I want to bring her back to beautiful instead of drab hospital white :). I am anxious to see what wood is under the white mantle, I won't be repainting it that's for sure!

Sponsored
Schell Brothers
Average rating: 3.9 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Virginia's Premier Award Winning Builder “Start Fresh – Build New”