Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kn754

What style is this 1928 home?

kn754
17 years ago

Hi- I was wondering if anyone could offer suggestions on what style house this is. I would love to find out more about my new home and have included pics of exterior, living room, part of the 2nd floor and master bedroom. It was listed as colonial but that does not seem to fit what research I've done on the internet. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Comments (8)

• sombreuil_mongrel
    17 years ago

Hi,
    It's an English Cottage style, but I suspect the second floor balcony railing isn't original or in keeping with the style. The mantel features a very nice tudor arch.
    Porches aren't typical features of this style, so consider that a nice bonus.
    Casey

• jakabedy
    17 years ago

What mongrel said. Cottage, or Tudor, although I don't think a Tudor would have had the shingled gable ends. Is it possible there is stucco and fake half-timbering under that siding? That would be more in keeping with a tudor styls. As Mongrel said, the flattened Tudor arch on the fireplace is very nice, and the balcony on the front looks to be a 1970s-80s effort to "update." If you don'tr plan to really use that space, consider taking down that railing. Or you could replace it with a metal one.

Very cute house!

• kn754
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you both for your input so far. I know very little about architecture/older homes... I had no idea the mantle had a "tudor arch" even. I don't know what may be original features and what are renovations. Most walls are plaster (I think, textured look) and painted a neutral grey with white ceilings/borders, which I don't mind at all but was this a common color for the period?
    I'm also not sure if there is half-timbering under the wood siding but I do like the balcony and expect to spend time out there. I've added a close-up pic of it as well as another exterior shot from a slightly different angle.
    Thanks again with helping me try to solve this fun mystery :)

• Noreen
    13 years ago

Thank you for posting the photo of your fireplace. The fireplace in my 1929 Tudor was walled over years ago and I am looking to restore it. It's cool to see what the original fireplace might of looked like.

I also have a deck similar to yours on the back of my house. It was part of an addition that added a room over the garage and a porch.

• krycek1984
    13 years ago

What a beautiful home! And it looks like many a neighborhood in the Cleveland area built in the 20's and 30's.

The second level balcony is a personal decision...oftentimes there are changes to a house over the years and we as new owners have to decide whether to keep them, or try to restore the condition to what was original.

In our case, we have a very late Victorian (1910), nothing too fancy...but they put a porch and balcony on the front (across the front) much like a house built in Cleveland during the 30's would have had.

It's not original, and I think maybe the house would look better, and more like a "Victorian" without it, but we enjoy the balcony quite a bit and aren't in a financial position to demolish 3/4 of the porch and balcony. So it stays for now and the foreseeable future.

So, I know the feeling.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    13 years ago

kn754, Your house is charming, and so well maintained! I love that style--our house (small farm cottage) was also built in the late 1920's. Oh, and I like the deck on both your house and noreen 811's house.

• texasredhead
    13 years ago

KN754, you don't mention an area in which you live. There is a large area in Dallas called Hollywood Heights, that is comprised of homes very similar to yours, all built in the 1920s. Many of the homes are being updated. However, it is an historic neighborhood so any renovations must be true to the style.

• fuzzywuzzer
    13 years ago

That is a charming English cottage! When it comes time to replace your railing, a Chippendale style would enhance its 'Englishness." It should be painted the color of the exterior trim.

In answer to your question about the interior color, I bet the trim was a dark-stained wood and I don't know what the walls might have been, could have been plain white? In any case, I personally love the trim painted white and the grey wall paint looks up-to-date and elegant. Thank you for sharing your home.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chippendale railing