Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sarahandbray_gw

What is the name of that wood-like, non-vinyl siding???

sarahandbray
15 years ago

We would love to get new siding (finances permitting!) in the next few years. My husband is fine with vinyl. I really would prefer to take off this 1950's mans-first-aluminum-siding and see if we can salvage the old wood siding that's been covered over, along with the neat little scalloping around the bottom of the second floor. But practically, I know that might be tough. There's a reason they covered over it with aluminum, I'm assuming. Plus the previous owner had insulation blown in, which has left dozens of little circular holes around the house.

Anyway, is there a compromise? A material that looks more like wood but doesn't have to be painted all the time? We do not have tons of money, as we are both teachers, but we're the kind of people that want to do the job right the first time and not have to worry about it later. I thought I remember someone talking about some type of composite siding--I'm sure it's wicked expensive, since that Trex stuff is--and this house is 3100sf on the main two levels...not including the full attic...so I think it's going to be pricey no matter what we do.

Here's the house before it was sided:

Here it is now:

Any thoughts?

Sarah from Albany, NY

Comments (2)