Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is the name of that wood-like, non-vinyl siding???

Posted by sarahandbray (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 31, 09 at 17:12

We would love to get new siding (finances permitting!) in the next few years. My husband is fine with vinyl. I really would prefer to take off this 1950's mans-first-aluminum-siding and see if we can salvage the old wood siding that's been covered over, along with the neat little scalloping around the bottom of the second floor. But practically, I know that might be tough. There's a reason they covered over it with aluminum, I'm assuming. Plus the previous owner had insulation blown in, which has left dozens of little circular holes around the house.

Anyway, is there a compromise? A material that looks more like wood but doesn't have to be painted all the time? We do not have tons of money, as we are both teachers, but we're the kind of people that want to do the job right the first time and not have to worry about it later. I thought I remember someone talking about some type of composite siding--I'm sure it's wicked expensive, since that Trex stuff is--and this house is 3100sf on the main two levels...not including the full attic...so I think it's going to be pricey no matter what we do.

Here's the house before it was sided:

Photobucket

Here it is now:
Photobucket

Any thoughts?

Sarah from Albany, NY

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is the name of that wood-like, non-vinyl siding???

Are you thinking about Hardiboard type of siding? It's "wood" siding made based on cement. Some companies sell it with wood graining stamped on the boards. There are also shingle siding available made of the same material.

It's more weather resistant than wood and mimics the original look of wood.

Here is a link that might be useful: James Hardi

o
RE: What is the name of that wood-like, non-vinyl siding???

Maybe that's it...in a town near where I live, they have VERY strict zoning. I remember last year when they wanted to build one of those mega-pharmacies, the cute little town went haywire. CVS promised to make it look nice with this special kind of siding--and it does look good. I felt it and it does have wood-grain but is matte in finish and feels like thick composite.

-sarah

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here