Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Removing wallpaper on ceiling

Posted by aka_peggy (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 10, 08 at 17:07

There's wall papper on the bedroom ceilings of my 1941 bungalow. In fact, there was several layers of wallpaper on the walls as well. We recently removed it from the MBR walls and spackled all the little holes. We primed the walls and stripped the ugly varnish off the beautiful cedar baseboards, the trim and around the windows. The bedroom floors are also a beautiful cedar that has been refinished.

Now I'm left with this ugly ceiling. I started stripping the paper but it's very tedious. It's difficult to use water because I get more water on me than the ceiling. I'd really prefer not to sheetrock over it and my budget is running pretty thin. Still, I want it done right.

Any ideas? Thx!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Removing wallpaper on ceiling

Score the paper without digging into the ceiling. Use hot water with fabric softener in it OR vinegar in a spray bottle It's the only way unless you want to use steam and I'd think that would be very dangerous to do holding a steamer over your head, it's hard enough holding it against the wall and not burning yourself.

o

Remove the walls with a steamer and the ceiling paper is likely to fall off on your head all by itself.

o

brickeyee: "Remove the walls with a steamer and the ceiling paper is likely to fall off on your head all by itself."

Really? Kind of like a bonus! We have the ceiling left to do in the LR, but the parts of the ceiling that inadvertently got removed when doing the walls seem to have come off very easily, much more so than the walls. That may have to do with the fact that there are only 2 layers of paper on the ceiling as opposed to about 14 on the walls! At any rate, I've used a solution of DIF liquid concentrate in hot water rolled on with a paint roller and then scraped off with a variety of scrapers. It's messy but does the job. Apart from steam, which I've never tried, there seems to be no short, clean way to do this.

o

which I've never tried, there seems to be no short, clean way to do this.

There is not,here is a link that might help

Here is a link that might be useful: stripping

o

We have a 5 gallon pressure washer with a 3' long nozzle, the kind you use in a garden. We filled it full of very hot water and detergent, pumped it up (by hand), and sprayed it on the walls and ceiling. We waited 15 minutes and the layers started rolling off. Some places were tough and needed another application, rarely a third.
Sure, it makes piles of wet paper - but it is very satisfying!

o

Thanks for your suggestions. Hmmm, a pressure washer huh? I don't have one of those but I wish I did.

I'm going to try the pump sprayer 1st and if that doesn't work, I'm going to try rolling the Dif on with a paint roller as suggested in the link. I have to take my bed out of the room 1st so I'll be doing this 1st thing tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again!

o

Sometimes wallpaper holds plaster ceilings together and hides the imprefections... we usually put a skim coat on and paint it, or just direct paint...

o

I'm going to try the pump sprayer 1st and if that doesn't work,

This will work just fine but remember the removal solution must get to the paper backing, so if it is vinyl you must score it first and make sure you SOAK it. It must be really wet as in water running off the ceiling, just cover everything in painters plastic and when you are done wrap it up and put it all in a large garbage bag.

o

Well, since I wrote my reply above I removed the LR ceiling wallpaper that I had hoped would be so easy...it took me three weeks to remove it with the DIF solution! That was an incredibly difficult job, really hard on the neck and arms! I had to work it in three stages, doing a small section at a time: dry scrape the top, painted layer of wallpaper with a razor scraper, then use the DIF solution to get the underlying papers off, then wash the glue residue off. Move on to the next small section...over and over. I finally gave in, however, and bought a steamer for the remaining 3 rooms. I'm working on the DR walls now with the steamer and it is a bit faster, but still messy. And it leaves a lot more glue residue on the walls than my DIF solution method. With the DIF method I was able to remove paper from a small area and go back right away and wash off the glue residue before it re-dried. With the steamer I do a much larger wall section, but by the time the steamer runs out of water and I go back to wash off the glue it has dried hard again. When you have the steamer all heated and steaming it's hard to put it down and wash the walls section by section as you go--I just keep continuously steaming the paper off until the steamer runs low on water.

o

Are you letting the Diff on time enough to work? Here is a site that has a better solution,you might be running into border paste which the Diff will not work on well.

Here is a link that might be useful: s&s

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here