Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrewt11cky

Roofing advice needed, Please help!!

andrewt11cky
14 years ago

Hello Everyone,

Me and my partner are currently buying a house, It is a house that backdates to the early 20th century and is a Mid Terraced house in a block of 3 houses.

We have just had the survey done on the house and there is a couple of points that are concerning us and would be really grateful if you could let me know your thoughts and any advice on how major or minor the work is that is required!!!

The survey report reads as is below,

The roof is formed with conventional timber rafters supporting the coverings, the roof structure appears in satisfactory order for it's age with no significant defects. A snow covering has restricted the inspection of the front slope and extension roof. The roof tiles are in need of a comprehensive over-haul. Several tiles are broken and have spalled (eroded) and should be renewed. A fair number of tiles appear to be disintegrating as viewed within the roof space, it may well be more cost effective to replace the roof covering at this stage. The roof is unlined which is not unusual for a property of this age, however, as the roof coverings are nearing the end of their life span, aligning should be introduced when the work is carried out. Mortar has been applied under the roof covering to improve it's weather proofing, it is an old approach to keeping water out but is not an effective solution in the long term, this is virtually all worn away. Action - you should obtain quotations for repairing/and replacing the roof coverings.

Is this serious? Any ideas on the cost of the work needed? Should we be concerned???

I would like to thankyou in advance for any opinions or advice given!!!

Comments (4)