Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What in the world?

Posted by hobbs67 (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 30, 10 at 13:48

Hey all,
Haven't posted here in a while, hope house projects are going well for all.

I have a house mystery that I was wondering if someone can assist us in solving. We have a 1880 Victorian. Outside of the house, about 15 feet from the foundation is a concrete underground box type structure that we recently found. It has a 2ft by 2ft concrete cover and that sits on top of what appears to be a vaulted top, maybe 6-8ft by 6-8ft when it reaches the square walls that extend downward. All concrete. Don't know how deep as it is filled with dirt. Its not connected to anything.

I always thought it was a covered well based upon the cover, but when opened it looked quite different. Any ideas? -- outhouse?, sewer? Would post a picture, but its covered by snow as we speak.
Thanks in advance.
Tom

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What in the world?

Old septic tank system...?

o

cistern?

o

picture?

o

If there are stairs or ladder leading downward, might be a bomb shelter. A few of these were built with much (highly unrealistic) encouragement from the government in the 1950's through the Cuban missle crisis. I remember neighbors where I grew up building one. They were sisters, both in their 80's at the time - no doubt there was a much better use for the considerable amount of money they spent.

o

Outhouses didn't have concrete sides or bases because their location had to be rotated from time to time as the pit filled up with waste. They are also located a respectable distance from a house for sanitary reasons.

If it didn't have that type of entrance, I'd have suggested a root cellar, but I think given the construction it was probably a water collection cistern. They are often in addition to a dug well in houses of that age. I have one outside my kitchen window collecting water from our spring. It was sufficient for the water needs of the time it was installed, when baths were taken weekly and automatic dishwashers and wash machines were a dream. We ended up installing a second cistern (collection tank) 1500 gallons to collect the run-off from the original cistern and have an electric pump to that one, but a pitcher pump in the kitchen drawing off the small cistern. Our small cistern is the same material as the well house at the spring head........brick. Most old ones will be brick or stone. But concrete ones certainly do exist.

Back on the family farm, the cistern was the original water source, and it collected rain run-off from the tin roof. I even have a cistern on a house I own in a near-by town to collected rain run-off. Built late twenties or early thirties. Many houses built before the turn of the 20th century had cisterns. My guess is cistern.

o
Another thought

Not a pit privy (outhouse) but could be an abandoned septic tank. I have seen them that close.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here