Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
never_give_up

Has anyone ever installed lincrusta?

never-give-up
16 years ago

I want to put a lincrusta frieze up in a hallway. I am leery of starting this project as I don't have any experience with this stuff and I know it is brittle, as well as, expensive. If anyone has ever worked with this material I sure would appreciate any advice that you could give me. Thank you.

Comments (27)

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    16 years ago

You really should hire a professional for this,you can look here,(see link) or if you are really set to do it here
    http://www.fyhome.com/analininstructions.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: installers

• brickeyee
    16 years ago

"You really should hire a professional for this..."

You can probably screw up the job, scrap all the supplies, and then start over for the price of hiring it out.

It is not much harder than wallpaper (and in some ways is easier).

• Carol_from_ny
    16 years ago

You mean the embossed wallpaper? I've done some. It's not that hard. It's like putting up wallpaper except it's much heavier. I do think it goes much better if you have more than one person doing it.
    Most of what I've done has been in the form of wallpaper borders, inserts on stair paneling and some ceiling work.

• PRO
    16 years ago

You can probably screw up the job, scrap all the supplies, and then start over for the price of hiring it out.

This is just ludicrous.

• never-give-up
    Original Author
    16 years ago

christophern-I would rather hire it done than ruin it, but the only local installer I could find that would touch the stuff wanted 3 times what I paid for it to hang it. Also he had never hung it before. I tried the link you gave and the closest person was a good distance from me, but I will follow it up. Thanks.

carol from ny-could you be thinking of anaglypta? If not and you have hung lincrusta I sure would love some tips.

brickeyee-I guess I would ask you the same question as I did carol from ny?

• brickeyee
    16 years ago

"You can probably screw up the job, scrap all the supplies, and then start over for the price of hiring it out.

This is just ludicrous."

You really think so?
    Priced installation work lately?

Labor may be cheap in your location, but I can tell you near almost any major city labor will be a huge portion of the job.

I build and restore houses and know exactly how much my labor costs swamp material costs for just about every job.

• PRO
    16 years ago

Priced installation work lately?

I hang paper(last 20 years) for a living, and yes,I do know the installation cost but for the average homeowner installing lincrusta,would be a MAJOR undetaking,installing most wallcoverings PROPERLY in my opinion is not in the realm of the average homeowner. Yes it can be done and I gave a link for installation procedures

• never-give-up
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you for that link christophern. There are a few more questions I have that aren't answered in that link and others like it. I am hoping someone that has installed it themselves might be able to answer.

• spy10021
    16 years ago

Here's another link for DIY installing Lincrusta.

Good luck - let us know your experiences :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Instructions for installing Lincrusta

• never-give-up
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks spy10021. I had a question about how to handle inside corners that was answered in this link!

Another question I have is how to warm it up a bit before unrolling it to cut. I have heard that the stuff will crack just unrolling it if it is too cold.

• spy10021
    16 years ago

Could you put all the rolls in a small room with a heater for a few hours and shut the door to enclose the heat? I imagine that would make them more pliable. I also see the instructions mention soaking the backs of the lincrusta in warm water, which probably also aides in pliability.

• never-give-up
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I saw that it instructed soaking the back, I just couldn't figure out how to get at it without unrolling it dry and risk cracking it first. Too bad you couldn't put in a bucket or tub of warm water then unroll it.

The warm room is a good idea. I wonder what a hair dryer would do?

• brickeyee
    16 years ago

"installing lincrusta,would be a MAJOR undetaking,installing most wallcoverings PROPERLY in my opinion is not in the realm of the average homeowner."

Then why are you bothering posting here?
    To scare up business?

So you are saying your installation costs are less than the material costs?

• PRO
    16 years ago

Then why are you bothering posting here? Trying to be helpful. You?
    To scare up business?Don't need it.
    So you are saying your installation costs are less than the material costs? Depends.

• brickeyee
    16 years ago

It is pretty rare near a major metro area to have labor costs for installation of wallpaper, lincrusta, trim, drywall, etc. be less than the material costs.

This means right away that the material can be scrapped out and replaced and the cost still be less than hiring the job out.

• never-give-up
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I have to agree with you brickeyee. Just with the estimate I got I could buy the materials 3 times.

Darn near anything we have hired done on this house and land the labor has blown the materials price out of the water and we live in the sticks.

• brickeyee
    16 years ago

I had to deal with Lincrusta a few years ago in an older house.
    The owner had plenty left over from the previous job, about 40+ years ago.
    It was so brittle that it cracked if you picked a piece up from each edge.
    After much gentle persuasion she agreed to purchase new material.

• never-give-up
    Original Author
    16 years ago

If you don't mind saying- Were you able to roll out the new stuff without it cracking? What did you do to prevent it?

• brickeyee
    16 years ago

"Were you able to roll out the new stuff without it cracking? "

It had been stored flat.
    Probably for 50-60 years.

• never-give-up
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sorry, I meant that after she purchased new stuff-Were you able to roll it out without cracking it? What did you do to prevent it?

• brickeyee
    16 years ago

Soak it in warm water.

• never-give-up
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Could I get some more details please? How long did you soak it? Anything I should be careful with? Do I just pat it dry?

Any hints would be much appreciated!

• brickeyee
    16 years ago

15 to 30 minutes in warm water.
    If it is the real deal (linseed oil and pulp) the warmth is what softens, not the moisture.
    Newer items may be made from other things (and likely are).

There are numerous step by step outlines available with a quick search, and the manufacturer should have supplied at least some basic instructions.

• never-give-up
    Original Author
    16 years ago

No doubt there will be someone who wants to argue the point (and trust me the LAST thing I want to do is start a debate) but I believe that no amount of book learning will ever totally replace simple hands on experience. That is what makes this forum, and others like it, so helpful to people. We all get to find out, from others willing to share their personal experiences, what works, what doesn't and why. Then it goes a step further. How to do it better.

I have been "googling" this subject for quite a while now and have found a number of the same basic instructions over and over. They just don't tell what it is like on the other end, when you try to apply BASIC instruction to the actual job. Again, IMO, nothing totally replaces actual hands on experience.

For instance: brickeyee's post:

15to 30 minutes in warm water.
    If it is the real deal (linseed oil and pulp) the warmth is what softens, not the moisture. Newer items may be made from other things (and likey are).

I have not, as yet, found that information anywhere else, but here.

• gardenweb_com_5783_wellhung_susw_co
    15 years ago

I used to hang a lot of lincrusta back in the day. roll it out and cut your length wet the back down and let it soak for ten to fifteen min. paste the wall and the back of the sheet with undiluted clay base bring lots of push pins and a vinyl sweep (brush) not the hard plastic smoothers a real brush. install from the base up if it is below a chair rail because cutting is very difficult install chair rail after installation of lincrusta inside corners match and caulk when done use push pins to hold paper in place use your sweep to get out bubbles fill any cracks fill plaster caulk all edges and paint.

• jan9
    15 years ago

Originally lincrusta was embossed linoleum. That would be a difficult installation. These days embossed paper is sold as lincrusta. It's usually a heavy paper so it's not the easiest install but it can be done by the diligent DIY.

• never-give-up
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you wallpaperit for the many details! Health issues kept me from trying to install it before this. I still hope to give it a try this winter. Thanks also to jan9 for the encouragement.